Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my chicks are around 4 weeks old now and look happy and healthy but one seems to be pooping out seeds mum or dad has fed them and then eating them. What do I do?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, it’s possible for chickens to get sick from eating poop.
While eating poop actually has some upsides as I explained above, it can also transfer harmful bacteria within your flock.
According to the Illinois fact sheet regarding potential dangers of poultry poop, chicken poop can contain a number of bacteria that could be harmful to other chickens, and us.
Salmonella, Campylobacter, and avian influenza viruses are the main culprits. All of which can cause some serious health issues to your flock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dont feed them an only seed diet, they also need fruit veggies and pellets
Yes, it’s possible for chickens to get sick from eating poop.
While eating poop actually has some upsides as I explained above, it can also transfer harmful bacteria within your flock.
According to the Illinois fact sheet regarding potential dangers of poultry poop, chicken poop can contain a number of bacteria that could be harmful to other chickens, and us.
Salmonella, Campylobacter, and avian influenza viruses are the main culprits. All of which can cause some serious health issues to your flock.
What about cockatiels?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts