Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tiel has been doing this for about two weeks. He'd spend hours gnawing at the cage bars. I hung his activity mat where he was doing it the most and he's moved on to chewing at a wicker ring on the mat incessantly, and occasionally going to the bottom corner of his cage and chewing the bars there (ignoring the tear bag that is right next to him). Or he'll perch up high and chew on the chain of another toy. He very rarely plays with the toys properly. Just chews.

Not sure if this is related, but his beak is also filthy lately. Covered in food. He also chews a lot when there is nothing in his beak... just making chewing motions while standing there.

I moved his cage a few weeks ago to free up space in the room and so he could see me better as I work at my desk... do you think being able to see him is what's causing this behavior? He chews on the bars exclusively on the side that is closest to me.

Before he'd chew on his perches or his mineral blocks/cuttle bone. I don't see him doing either anymore.

Is the metal going to hurt or deform his beak?
Is he bored? Sick? He talks and chirps and plays when I leave the room, but when I'm there with him he's quiet (outside of occasionally screaming for attention) and just chews, chews, chews.

I've had to cut back on his out-of-cage time because I'm working more now, and he attacks my hands when I'm typing or using my graphics tablet. I'm frustrated and concerned that he doesn't seem to want to entertain himself.

ugh, Spooky, why do you constantly make me feel like a crappy bird owner? :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add, he acts much more "normal" in terms of vocalizing and playing inside his cage when my fiance is home too. Maybe because since he's out of the house most of the day, the only time Spooky interacts with him is when he's able to engage Spooky back? :\

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mine has just started gnawing on the cage bars too. He gets lots of attention and out of cage time.
He's also started the chewing thing in the last week. Like he's rolling a bit of paper but he doesn't have anything in his beak.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts