Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Chester's taming journey

3K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  Tiki 
#1 ·
Well, he's already attacking millet from my hand. Just now, he'd follow it when I held it out of reach, so I decided to try holding it on the other side of my other hand (the cage door is big enough for me to easily fit both hands in), and he reached over the "bridge" hand to get the millet! :D He won't step on the "bridge" hand to get the millet just yet, but I'm sure he will soon if I keep doing this!

#7 · (Edited)
So how should I get him out, then? I mean, it's a good idea, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about it. I could try luring him to the cage door with the millet, but then he might fly and I'd have to catch him without him knowing how to step up, and plus, my brother doesn't want poop in his room unless it's in the cage (he's in my brother's room).

Edit: Not really related to taming, but I just checked in on him, and he appears to be singing to his feet! XDDDD

#8 ·
Are you able to take him into your room? Or any room where it's just the two of you. If he's eating from your hand and used ur arm as a "bridge" I am most certain you can get him to step up and them place him on your chest with one hand over him-like a baby.

#10 ·
No, he's not stepping over my hand like a bridge yet, just reaching his head over it. If I can get him out of the cage, though, I could take him into the bathroom, since that's almost right across the hall from where he is (can't use my room because that's where the budgies are :p ).

#9 ·
When I first let Earl Out we just opened the cage, and waited & waited, until he came out on his own accord :D It did take a long time ( about 45 mins for him to come out) but he began to trust, coming out of his cage, with us in the same room :) It's just the getting him back in the cage part that is tricky :D LOL!!

#15 ·
Well, we just now made some progress! I had my hand in front of him and I was holding the millet near my wrist so he had to stretch to get it, and he put one foot so that the front toenails were on my hand! :D

#18 ·
Today I brought his cage into the living room so he could watch Malcolm in the Middle with me. He certainly enjoyed that; he was head-bobbing and making his different sounds, and twice, came up to where I was and bowed his head right next to the bars just long enough for me to touch his crest. :D

#23 ·
OMG You guys will never guess what just happened. Well, maybe you will. If you saw the last thread I posted, then you know that we finally clipped his wings yesterday. Well, today (not too long ago, in fact; maybe a couple hours), I lured him out with a particularly fat millet spray, and after a little bit of trying to avoid stepping up, I picked him up and carried him out of the room to practice step-ups. We made some progress on that, but do you know what he'd rather do? Well, first of all, keep in mind the breeder warned me that I was buying an aggressive wild bird. This exact same "aggressive wild bird" decided he'd rather cling to my shirt and be a sweet little cuddle baby! He spent a lot of time snuggled against my cheek and enjoying scritches... so flippin' cute! ^-^ (but I'm trying to get him to not jump onto my shirt every time I tell him to step up) I didn't want to put him back in his cage, but I had to so he could sleep and so I could take a bath and come back in here...

#24 ·
Awww! That's really sweet. I love it when my Ziggy cuddles under my chin and begs for kisses and scritches. I'm glad he's improving. Ziggy use to do the jumping on my chest thing too at first. Try sitting and watching tv and having him just perched and relaxed on your finger. Then he'll realize that's also a safe place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.