Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are my boys! Charlie is the slightly older, heavier, larger-headed bird. When I got him he kept saying "Gudjidabirdie". No, this was not an Aboriginal Greeting, he was trying to say "Good Little Birdie", which he had been taught by his first human who hand-raised him. Although I am married and have two human boys, don't tell them but Charlie is pretty much the closest to my heart. He sings me a love song, long and low, and I have a reply of a low level whistle. He also seems to be in love with my big toe. He sings a Vivaldi tune, a free-range tune, and makes all kinds of sounds and words, including "Wanna come out!" when he wants to come out of his cage, "Out, Out, out!" a command to the dogs, a doorbell and phone ring, "Hello! Good Little Birdie" and "love you!".

I got Pipp thinking Charlie needed a proper bird partner, but she turned out to be a he. By the time we realised, we decided to keep him as he is extremely clever and vocal. he can sing "the Addams family" and even make click sounds, as well as many other songs and words, including "Want some of this?" when he is offered food. They have separate 'sleep cages", a gym and toys, and a portable cage for travel and to be outside. I used to clip their wings, but both of them have flown off and had exciting but awful adventures a few houses/streets away. I was so lucky to find them and they were so happy to see me! Now they are not clipped but have fun flying around the house and spend most of the day outside their cages, on the gym, branches, couch backs etc. They are both quite affectionate and love their neck scratches. I love my birds so much, they are tiny little condors, so interested in everything, so fierce in their feelings, so angelic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Adorable little men. :love:

Also, just a little friendly tip, birds do prefer cages with corners versus round cages so if you don't own one, you may want to consider one down the line if that's their main cage :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Stephanie and birdkids!

Hi Stephanie, nice to meet you and your gorgeous Beaker and Jade! That round cage is really only a perch, it sits always open on top of two larger square cages that are their main, "bedroom" cages, where they have their sleep perches, food, water and toys. They also have long sticks to climb onto the couch and up from the floor. They spend most of the day out around the house or on my shoulders. Here's a picture of the set-up; (its a bit messy but we are a messy family, lol)! And here's me, the local crazy bird lady, with my boys on my shoulders!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello arnabsri, lovely to meet you and your beautiful Cutie! Great to connect with someone so far away! Does your Cutie speak in Indian? I saw a Japanese budgie video on Youtube, i think it was "ChattyBudgie", and it spoke in Japanese! Amazing that birds can mimic languages so well , don't you think? I'm trying to get my boys to whistle "Waltzing Matilda" but so far they haven't picked it up. It takes quite a while for them to copy sounds consistently, but they have a pretty good vocabulary. Good night from us here in Australia!:grey tiel::grey tiel:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi sheabutter63,
its great to know that your feather kids are learning to whistle:)
Well, reg "cutie" in India its a country with diversity. Here each state has its own language.. so cutie was born in a family who speaks Hindi but i am from kolkata(West bengal). I speak bengali... and we got him last year july when he was only 4 months old..
he couldnot pick up any bengali tune:(but he will understand well...whenever i will complain to my mom something about him ..he will start chirping..as if saying"its not me"...i would just laugh and tell him"No,No cutie i am complaing about that sparrow..not you".then he will start playing and jumping again..

he is so attached ..he will sleep as soon as i sleep..and wont get up or make any noise till i get up..:)if my phone rings and i am not in his room..he will start chirping loudly which means"momma,pls take up your phone..its ringinggg".

Hope he will also learn whistling soon:)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
They're gorgeous!! :D

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Cheeky Charlie & Pipp

Welcome! I enjoyed reading your post about your birds! They sound like great little cockatiels! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts