Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I am new to this forum and was going to introduce myself first, but a somewhat more important matter occured.

When I arrived home from work today my Elvis was a mess. There were blood everywhere. Every perch and toy in his cage was covered in blood, there was even blood splatter on the wall next to the cage. Elvis himself was half yellow and gray, half red. I think it must have happened within the previous hour because Elvis was still wet, but the bleeding had stopped, and the blood in the cage had dried. He was eating and didn't (still don't) show any signs of stress or discomfort. Right now he is bobbing his head from side to side to see what makes clicky noises (me typing).

As he moved in with me two weeks ago, hissing and shouting at everyone, and is just now starting to settle down I don't want to stress him more than I need to. He is not yet hand tame and as he is fifteen years old, it is going to damage the trust we have built up in the last two weeks if I need to pick him up against his will. He is terrified of both hands and towels, but is now outside his cage, half asleep on my stretched out foot (unthinkable only last week) and within arms reach.

He has cleaned himself up properly, so I can see that the damage must be beneath his wing. He has never had a blood feather, so I'm guessing he has crashed into a toy that had particularly much blood on it. He is quite clumsy as he has never had a big enough cage to move about in, until now. He doesn't fly. He isn't clipped, I just think he is not in shape. When outside his cage he goes up to the walls and stares at them. He seems to wonder where the bars are.

My question is: can I risk leaving him be and check on him tomorrow? I cleaned the cage properly so there's no blood or droppings on the perches, so the risk of infections are minimal.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hello Crow! Welcome!

I have a normal grey Tiel named Cosmo. I just had this incident twice the past couple weeks. The first time I took him outside in his old smaller cage and he flapped around crazy when I walked off the porch and lost a feather and was bleeding. The second time was this week when he flew off the faucet and into the hallway and lost a feather and was bleeding. Both weren't blood feathers, but had blood at the tip of the shaft of the feather.
I totally understand you're concern about losing trust you worked with so hard. I have the same concerns with Cosmo because he wasn't tame when we got him and now he is.

Okay a couple of questions, are there any feathers in his cage he could of lost? Also can he do a trick where he will put out his wings for you? I had Cosmo do his "pretty bird" trick so I could see where it was bleeding from. I sat with him on my hand on the kitchen floor with a bowl of flour, I would lower my hand slightly down to where he would have his wings out a little bit and snuck some flour up under his wing to stop the bleeding.

If it isn't a blood feather he will stop bleeding and more than likely be fine like Cosmo was. The last time I couldn't find the bleeding and it dried up on its own. I had to keep yelling no at him though because he kept trying to pick at it and was getting blood all over his beak. Just try and see if you can find the feather to make sure it was hollow and came all the way out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
He should be okay though if he is alert and eating, is there a way you can keep an eye on him for the rest of the day? You might need a bigger cage then the one you have if he is hurting himself in it. Look on Amazon, I got him a really nice one that is tall and wide with a play top and its on wheels, all for $120. I thought Cosmo's old cage was big enough until I took him outside in it and he hurt himself in it. You might need to reduce the toys and clutter in the cage so he can flap his wings around safely and not hurt himself. I'm just guessing the cage is still too small for him or there are too many things in it if he is hurting himself. I hope Elvis feels better soon and welcome once again :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Since the bleeding has stopped he should be fine. I would leave him for now and just keep an eye on him.

Do you have any pictures of his cage setup? One good thing to note is that tiels require a cage big enough for them to stretch out their wings.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply and welcome. There are no loose feathers anywhere. He can't do any tricks (but that was a good advice to teach him stretching on command), but he is stretching his wings now and then. I can't see anything out of the ordinary and he is not bleeding anymore. When stretching he was more careful with his right wing in the beginning, but not anymore. I have been with him since I got home, maybe two and a half hours ago. The cage is nearly 1 1/2 meters wide and maybe 60 cm. deep. In height I'd say about my own (1,6 meters). I have actually no idea what he has been up to. He stretches, but he hasn't flown since he was 3 years old. He doesn't try to evenflap his wings outside the cage, so I can't imagine what has made him try it inside it. He doesn't even thrash about when he is spooked.

I think he will be okay for now. It is evening where we live and he is getting ready for the night now. He sleeps for twelve hours straight, so I'll check in on him in the morning.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks roxy culver. I am thinking of maybe giving Elvis a bigger cage if he someday decides to start flapping and acting like a bird than knows how to fly, but I'm going to wait since there has been a lot of changes for him recently. When he is tame I want him to have a bird friend so I think it's a good idea to get a bigger cage then. Then it will be new to both birds and none of them will be possessive. I have no picture of it now, but I have perches in three heights and have tried to place them away from the walls so he has room for exercising. There are only a few toys.

I also think I know what happened. When Elvis was falling asleep I got up close and examined him. He didn't move away from me so I lifted up his wing. The damage wasn't underneath it as I thought, but on the wing itself. He has a small rift in the skin, but the feathers look alright to me. He has probably gotten his wing stuck on a sharp edge (on a toy I have now removed) and hurt himself while pulling the wing.

Thanks for helping out guys, I really appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts