Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this video of my tiel sitting on my shoulder as I grocery shop at Whole Foods. Everyone there loved him. At first I felt a little embarrassed but after a few minutes it felt completely normal LOL. Cashier told me there was a guy in there the other day who had a huge Macaw on his shoulder! Sometimes I even see people walking around at Whole Foods with tiny dogs, crazy! Could not get away with that in Publix…. a tiny bird sure… but definitely not a dog.

So cool, my tiel goes everywhere with me… now he can even grocery shop with me LOL

When I get a second bird I don’t think I’ll be able to handle 2 birds though when out and about… sad. Seems I need 3 birds eventually (2 tiels and one GCC) so I don’t feel guilty leaving one home alone.

https://youtu.be/Y0WZ5BJ5n_Q

·
Registered
878 Posts
Is that real? lol just kidding
I liked the way Rascal turned around to look at the rice and grains :)
Do you bring a grocery list or does he just tell you what to put in the cart?

·
Registered
761 Posts
How amazing! I took Murray out like this once, and while she was well behaved I'm not sure which of us was more terrified :p If I lived somewhere warmer I think I'd have tried harder to progress!

Your little guy is flighted, right? Did it take him long to get used to being out like this, or did you train him in the flight suit from a baby? Just interested to know!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The second most popular question I always get asked would be "Is that real??"... I'm like no, it's a battery operated toy that just looks like a bird which I have on my shoulder because I'm a crazy person. That question always aggravates me! :p

My tiel used to be a NIGHTMARE with the flightsuit. He is fully flighted but his wings are cut to a shorter length which make putting the suit on MUCH easier. It took several months for him to stop CONSTANTLY biting the suit, it was so bad I almost gave up hope, thank goodness I didn't because now he can come with on my errands which is fun :D

He's so used to be out and about now he's almost jaded lol.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Aww, cute video! :D

He is fully flighted but his wings are cut to a shorter length which make putting the suit on MUCH easier.
He's not fully flighted then. Fully flighted means the flight feathers haven't been cut at all.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Aww, cute video! :D

He's not fully flighted then. Fully flighted means the flight feathers haven't been cut at all.
My tiel is fully flighted... meaning he can fly like a normal bird... his flight is not hindered at all because his flight feathers have not been fully cut to restrict his flight at all they were just shortened a tad to make putting the flightsuit on easier, otherwise his wings are so long extremely difficult for me to pull his long wings through hole of the suit comfortably (I do not believe in clipping birds wings to restrict flight... he must be able to fly for his health and exercise and flys all around the house, flys after me, and I wouldn't have it any other way). I believe in bird proofing the house... not bird proofing the bird. I thought "fully flighted" means he is indeed still fully flighted? =) I consider my tiel to be fully flighted, because in that sense he is...

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Oh right :) I didn't think of it that way. That's good, and I have the same view on clipping as you do. It's much easier and safer to bird-proof the house instead of the bird in my opinion :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh right :) I didn't think of it that way. That's good, and I have the same view on clipping as you do. It's much easier and safer to bird-proof the house instead of the bird in my opinion :)
Right on ;)

My tiel ain't semi-flighted... he can fully fly around effortlessly like a normal bird even though his flight feathers look butchered... but I should really call it "lazy flighted" because I have to light a torch under his butt to make him fly. He is rather lazy!! He flys after me all the time though. If I leave the room he flys after me, too cute.

I wish I didn't have to shorten his flight feathers because they were so beautiful but I seriously cannot put his flightsuit on then without feeling like I'm breaking his wings! He is so tense when I am putting suit on which makes it extremely difficult to pull his long wings through the holes of the suit otherwise. Shortening his wings makes a HUGE difference.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is so cool! Rascal sure gets to see the world.
LOL, yup... he's a traveling man. He would make a good service animal. He looks it too with his suit. I've been asked several times if he's a service bird. It's the flightsuit he's wearing that makes him look official :p

I usually tell people that's a "straight jacket" he's got on. That's gotten me a few concerned looks lol.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The black leash I sewed into his suit kind of makes him look like he's wearing a black tie. That adds to the cuteness =)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Juliet, that is awesome!!! I love that you have in that suit. Did I read correctly that you made it? I would love to do the same and would love any info you can share. My guy is fully feathered now and flies like a champ, but I'm really afraid he will fly right out the door one day and would love a solution for when I take him around the house.
You've done wonders! Good for you! It is great that you can take him shopping with you like that.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Juliet, that is awesome!!! I love that you have in that suit. Did I read correctly that you made it? I would love to do the same and would love any info you can share. My guy is fully feathered now and flies like a champ, but I'm really afraid he will fly right out the door one day and would love a solution for when I take him around the house.
You've done wonders! Good for you! It is great that you can take him shopping with you like that.
I didn't make the suit, I got the suit from www.avianfashions.com

I only sewed the black leash into the suit because the removable leash that same with it was extremely heavy due the the big metal hook (whatever it's called) that was attached to the leash... the hook weighed more than my tiel! I felt that was ridiculously heavy so I sewed a lightweight leash into the suit. I miht eventually make a new detachable leash but with a MUCH lighter weight hook :)

I have a SUPER strict rule that the front door is NEVER to be opened if my tiel is out of his cage... as that is definitely a disaster waiting to happen. I feel sorry for any person who would open the front door if my tiel wasn't secured if you know what I mean ;) This happened when I was at my mom's house one afternoon and I was so so mad as I had made this VERY clear and I can't tolerate carelessness!!! I now place TAPE on the door handle so the tape must be removed before person can open the front door LOL. This REMINDS them about the rules!! Thank god I live alone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts