Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Hi again! It says the album is empty when I click on the link so I can't see any pictures, but as a general rule, monitor the colour of the poop for 24 hours. If it is still abnormal, then you might have something to worry about. FYI, if the poop is ever red it is usually an emergency. Do not wait 24 hours if the poop turns red one day. Sometimes it happens because the bird ate red food (e.g. cherries), but sometimes it's blood.

Registered
Their poop colour can change dramatically depending on the type of food they've recently eaten. It's not usually a worry unless it's unrelated to the colour of their food and is either black, or red (as has already been stated).

I couldn't view your photo, you could try uploading it as an attachment in a reply to this thread (click on the Go Advanced button next to the Post Quick Reply button and along the top you should see a paper clip symbol. Click on this and it will bring up a window where you can upload your photo there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Color of her poop changes often but it's never red or black, i am attaching a few photos...also, sometimes the color is yellow, is that a problem? I amalso attaching link again for I am not so good with forum UI yet, will be familiar with it very soon :)https://photos.app.goo.gl/o5dP7uL67FtK3jSd8

edit: in last photo it seems like quite dark green poop but the color is not that dark and rare, it's that liquid like yellow and light yellow coil that worries me!

Attachments

Registered
The green poops actually look normal. A seed mix generally gives them green poop, and the urates are a nice bright white which indicates a very healthy poop. :)

The yellow poops however don't look as healthy, they are a bit too watery and I see a few bubbles. If the food you have fed her is bright yellow I think that's the cause for the odd colour and you shouldn't be too worried about them being yellow.

If you want to get the poop checked out though you can ask a vet to do a poop smear which they look at under a microscope to see if there's any underlying causes (bacteria, fungus, parasites, etc).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried giving her fresh farm millet and less of kangni (it's like yellow millet), stopped giving corn, less of sunflower seeds, an almond and pomegranate seeds and they are almost back to normal green! I'll try to figure out what exactly is causing yellow color, also, i saw one or two peeps to be dark green and one almost black, it worried me a lot ..what if some internal bleeding? It was just one among other greens, I'll put this issue too in front of vet, but I hope that's because of pomegranate seeds! I have read at many places that pomegranate seeds turn poop color to black

Registered
The corn is probably what is making her poop bright yellow. Sometimes their poop can be dark brown and it appears black when it dries. If you are worried, pick up the poop on a white piece of paper and smear it to check if it is actually black.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.