Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all :)

My darling cockatiel Zazu is now two years old and he has become a prominent member of the family. His little character is just charming and so funny.
He bonded quickly with my partner after we moved in together when Zazu was only three months old. He's an incredibly loving and sweet cockatiel.

However, just recently he's been displaying some extremely aggressive, dominant behavior towards my partner. He is still very sweet with me and has developed some unnatural desire for my head... :/
He lunges at my partner's face and bites his ears and nose, which is SO out of character.

Is this just hormonal? If so, is it only temporary, due to season or age? Or is this shift in bond more permanent?

I would really appreciate your help :) Thanks.

·
Registered
786 Posts
It sounds hormonal. It isn't uncommon for them to become aggressive when they are. This is the season when they are most hormonal, when days are longer, and in the wild they would be breeding the most. You can try covering his cage for 12-14 hours at night, and see if this helps. Don't encourage any behavior that encourages him such as your head being his item of affection, or toys that may be doing the same. It will pass, and he will be himself again :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Paula :) Good to know that this isn't forever, my partner will be pleased, they are best buds!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts