Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never leave my cat and Peppy in the same room unsupervised but when I feed Stardust(the cat) in the evening, Peppy has started to wander over and inspect the cat's bowl and even have a taste. My poor cat backs off until she has finished or I rescue her. I know to be extremely wary.
Another cat once rescued a baby hamster that had escaped and I found it in the morning in the cat basket none the worse for it's adventure. They seem to recognise other pets as family members.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It all depends. That instinct can come out at any time. Flying seems to be the biggest issue, so I wouldn't let Peppy fly around the cat if possible. A friend of mine lost one of her birds because the cat scratched him midflight. Birds can't survive a cat scratch.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
It all depends. That instinct can come out at any time. Flying seems to be the biggest issue, so I wouldn't let Peppy fly around the cat if possible. A friend of mine lost one of her birds because the cat scratched him midflight. Birds can't survive a cat scratch.
Can birds survive a dog scratch or bite.(I dont have dogs but used to my house will always be a parrot house.)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Can birds survive a dog scratch or bite.(I dont have dogs but used to my house will always be a parrot house.)
Depends on the severity. Cats have a bacteria in their mouths and claws that is deadly to birds. Dogs do not, but even a bite or scratch from a dog can be deadly. And some birds can't handle the stress of a dog even being near them and can die from a heart attack.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Depends on the severity. Cats have a bacteria in their mouths and claws that is deadly to birds. Dogs do not, but even a bite or scratch from a dog can be deadly. And some birds can't handle the stress of a dog even being near them and can die from a heart attack.
Actually Roxy, the way I understand it is all mammals have mouth bacteria that birds cannot handle and is toxic to them, that is why it is important not to let birds pick at your teeth or in your mouth(not to mention its gross...lol) letting the bird pick in the cats dish is a disaster waiting to happen.

http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/saliva-is-dangerous-for-parrots/

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Actually Roxy, the way I understand it is all mammals have mouth bacteria that birds cannot handle and is toxic to them, that is why it is important not to let birds pick at your teeth or in your mouth(not to mention its gross...lol) letting the bird pick in the cats dish is a disaster waiting to happen.
Then my father in law's birds must be invincible. They've been picking at the boys teeth for over twelve years. I don't recommend it, besides the fact that it's gross, you never can be too careful, but cats, rabbits, and guinea pigs are three that carry a bacteria that for sure always kills birds. Dogs mouths are cleaner than ours so while there is bacteria in there, I wouldn't say its as deadly as a cats. Not that I ever let my dogs near my birds.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I understand what you mean about the flapping. This usually occurs when the cat is sat on me and Peppy tries to land nearby. When she was new and didn't know where to land safely, she once landed on the cat thinking it was someones head. Mostly, Stardust sleeps during the day so it is not often they are in the same room anyway.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I know I have said this before, but cat's have instincts that drive them above all else. My JoJo was killed by my cat, in moment. JoJo never had a chance. Please be careful.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I have two cats (used to be three) and I would never have them in the same room as my 'tiels, ever, or even consider letting them out together -- that's practically asking for trouble. Having your cockatiel out of their cage while the cat is around is a straight up no in my books.. it's just not worth the risk, and very stressful for the bird. It only takes one second for something to go wrong.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I note your concerns and wouldn't recommend this to anyone else. However after reading the previous post would just like to say that it is the cat who gets stressed and not Peppy. We definitely have a pecking order in our house and Peppy is just above the husband with the cat at the bottom. i'm not saying where I am. haha

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've had my cat Ripley for 14 years now. I never let her even near Ringo and Lucy. When they are out during the day she cannot be around or near them and she knows it. They go to 'bed' at 5.30pm then that is her time. She sleeps most of the day in the back cupboard anyway so it's not a big deal. She's very well behaved but I would NEVER risk her anywhere near the tiels even though she is an outside cat most of the time and would never hurt a fly. Actually birds scare her but still - not worth the risk. Things can go south in a heart beat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts