Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my cockatiel Chipper but I recently got in a bad wreck and have a concussion. I live in a studio apartment which means I can't put him in a different room except for the bathroom. He is use to being outside of his cage for half of the day but because of the concussion I need to sleep and I need quiet. I can't take him to stay with a family member because they all have dogs in the house. Currently I have been keeping him in the bathroom but I have to turn the lights off so he will be quiet and let me sleep. I know this is bad for him and messes with his sleep. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to deal with this? Any suggestions on how to sound proof the bathroom so he can stay in there and play and sing with the light on while I sleep?

Please any suggestions will help! I'm desperate at this point. Thank you. And please don't call me a bad bird mom I know he shouldn't be in the bathroom with the light off during the day but he is too loud for my head right now.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
It's probably not possible to soundproof the bathroom effectively. It shouldn't do any major harm if it's only for a few days, as long as he's getting enough daylight time that he can eat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try keeping him where he normally is and cover his cage when you need quiet (I cut open a pillowcase for Bruce's 'blanky' and use the seam side facing down over his cage so he can't hurt himself on loose threads). No matter the time or what treat he has, he gets quiet and hunkers down in one place when he's covered.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unfortunately, I don’t have any advice to offer as far as Chipper goes, but I wanted to say I hope you’re feeling better soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would you be allowed to use ear plugs with your concussion? They saved my sanity for 11 years when my upstairs neighbor, who was obese and an insomniac, walked on incorrectly installed subflooring. You can buy ones for blocking higher decibel noise levels. Used in tandem with a white noise machine or a desk fan on high you won't hear a single noise. He can stay in his cage as he normally does or you can leave the light on in the bathroom and let him sing and play as much as he likes. The best thing about the ear plugs is there are no side effects. Pop them in, pop them out when you don't need them. They even helped save my sanity on really bad days with a chronic egg layer that I had in the past. I'd pop them in and I couldn't hear her screaming at all.

Cathy and Shiloh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts