Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me or my Mom can barely whissel. My Dad taught Spike the charge whissel. But now he does it two different ways. When Spike sees my Dad he will whissel it. But when He sees my Mom he will DoDoDo it :p I just thought this was a good tip If you can't whissel and want to teach your tiel a tune. Just make a short noise like Do or De your choice and they might learn it from you :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used to not know how to whistle but in one particular Xmas season in high school, I vowed to teach myself whistling for the whole duration of the school holidays. I attempted to whistle every hour and before I know it I could whistle, and kinda loudly too.

I think it just needs a bit of practice...you have to know how to position your mouth, lips and tongue. It didn't happen overnight and I tested various mouth-lip-tongue configurations before I found the right one that made a sound!

I don't think it's too late. Like I said I was in high school when I learned...15 I think.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could always practice too ;) Spike says do do do do like he is singing a song to himself, it's too funny :p

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Spike-

I do the do do do...la la la..humming thing too...he just looks at me like I lost it..lol

So has anyone had any luck with teaching female tiels short whistles??

My girl does little kissy noises when she checks on me (or me on her), when we say good night..etc. It's our little call just between us but now she taught Ziggy. Other then the screaming that's the only thing she does..There are times where she tries a differerent sounding scream but that's all.hehe

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I never taught her it but my female Minnie wolf whistles and chatters :D I think she picked it up off Ollie although my other female Georgie has never whistled only her contact call

·
Registered
263 Posts
Funny thing is when Noel screams at me I come running.. I don't know anyone else who can get away with that! I find it endearing somehow:p

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I was a hopeless whistler until i got Bailee. After that i persistently practiced so i could teach him and now i can do reasonably well. :D Some whistles i have to practice a bit before i get it though. :p

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I can whistle, took me a while though to learn to. I can only whistle out, some of my family can whistle in, I really don't know how they can do that! :eek:

I have, kind of. :p Willow does the wolf whistle, a whistle as if your calling your dog if you know what I mean and another short simple whistle :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts