Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my wife and I got married recently, I knew she had two male cockatiels, and that they could be noisy at times but I had no idea it would be this bad. They screech constantly, especially early in the morning and in the evening. It's not a pleasant sound at all, it's an ear piercing screech.

My wife doesn't particularly like them, she inherited them from a deceased family member, but she will never get rid of them because of the sentimental value. She's also afraid someone else would have them put down after becoming frustrated. I can understand that stance, because I'd do it in a heartbeat if I was able to.

So my question is this: how do I shut them up? Is there some kind of medical procedure a vet can do? Some device like a bark collar for dogs? I have no interest in interacting with these birds, I just want them silenced until either my wife gets fed up and does something about or they die of old age or something.

Please help, I feel like I'm about to snap and leave them out in the woods or something.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The reason that they're screaming is because of their wild instincts. Not all birds do this, but some do. Bird owners should always allow at least two screams a day, in the morning and evening, because of this. This is the bird making sure that everybody is present and okay. Birds live in flocks in the wild, and it's kind of their way of making sure everyone survived the day and the night.

However, with the attitude that you have about birds, I do NOT think you should be a bird owner. Same goes for your wife; sentimental value is no reason to keep a living creature. Cockatiels live anywhere from 10-30 years old. If you can't provide these birds' needs, they need to find a loving family that will. I would suggest finding a rescue in your area that you can take them to (a bird rescue, not a cat/dog rescue).

Birds need at least an hour or more of time out of their cages (an ideal situation would be more out of cage time than in cage time), toys, LOTS of love and attention, a proper diet mixed with pellets, fresh fruits and veggies, and seed, and lots of mental stimulation. If you aren't giving your guys any of this, then that might also be why they're screaming; it's because they're being neglected. If you can't provide for them, find them a new home. It is not fair to the birds to be kept in a home where they are not loved and cherished simply because of "sentimental value"

Sorry if this seems harsh, it's just a very serious issue, in my opinion. A lot of people (not many on this forum, I just mean in general) think that pet birds are just pets that are supposed to be pretty to look at, and are pets that stay in their cages 24/7. It's not true. They need a LOT of attention, a LOT of time, and a LOT of love. Too many innocent birds become mean and live unhappy lives because of this huge misunderstanding. I work at a bird rescue, so I see birds coming from situations like you described all the time, so this is a very tender topic for me.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The screaming could be hormonal. A little more information on their situation, the set up they have, the food they eat, their sleeping schedule, would all go a long way into letting us help you. Birds can be great companions if treated and cared for properly.

First off, no one will put them down for screaming. A vet wouldn't even consider it because there is nothing physically wrong with them. Vets also don't remove vocal cords or any such thing on any animal because it's not necessary. Birds don't do well under anesthesia anyways, so there's no way something like that would be possible.

When they scream, respond. Answer back with a word, see if that helps. They are going to see the two of you as flock mates and as Lunasong said, they are checking to make sure you're OK. Birds actually do this much more often then twice a day, so see if that helps. Spend time near their cage, whether it's just while you're reading or if you set it near your computer, it will give them time with you.

Honestly, this is not an ideal situation for any of you. Talk to your wife, explain to her that the proper home for these birds would be the best solution and then find that home. They deserve to be somewhere that they get love and affection, you know? Tiels are more like toddlers than dogs because of how smart they are and the attention and time required. And yes, they can live up to 30 years, so it's a very long commitment when you take on a tiel. I wish you all the best.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The birds were there first and YOU knew they were loud. Suck it up and leave if you can't handle the family that was there before you.

·
Registered
885 Posts
You really need to talk to your wife about rehoming them. I know she doesn't want to and I can understand why, but for the sake of the birds health and wellbeing she really needs to consider it. I am an extremely sentimental person so I really do get why she wants to hold onto them, but it's not healthy for them to be in an environment where they can't get adequate daily exercise and nutrition (I'm assuming that they would be on an all seed diet).

PLEASE don't take them to the woods and let them out. They would be lucky if they survived the night in the wild and even though you don't like or want them, letting them go is one of the cruelest things you could do.

As roxy explained, there are no vet procedures that can (or should) be done. No anti-noise devices would work, either. Birds don't respond to negative reinforcement or "punishment" the way dogs do.

I would definitely follow roxy's advice and see if responding to their flock calls will help. But if it's zero noise that you're after, i'm afraid the only way of achieving that would be by getting rid of them. If your wife is concerned about the home they could go to, she could hold interviews for potential adopters and pick the ones she likes best. She could arrange to visit them from time to time if she wanted.

Do you have any friends or family that would take them? A neighbour maybe?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ask your wife how her deceased relative would feel about their birds being in the current situation, which is obviously not ideal.

They need to be taken to a bird rescue and rehomed. That way you all would be happier and the birds would be happier and healthier too.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
You should talk to your wife and try to convince her that the deceased person would like to see them happy and loved. Someone who would put them down only because they are loud is not the ideal owner. It's a pretty shocking statement... :(
I suffer from phonophobia (loud noises really go to my brain and drive me crazy - I have a real condition), but would never give away my boy, even if when he is hormonal he is loud.
Your tiels would be much happier in another environment. Maybe your wife can still occasionally visit them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Remydon,

What would you feel if someone asks you to shut up whole day instead of speaking?

It is normal for birds to chirp during morning and evening or they are screaming because they might be afraid or something else which you need to find out.

Please never leave your birds in woods as other animals in wild can attack them . They are also living beings who just need a good family.If you and your wife cannot look after them please rehome them to some family who loves birds and would take care of them.

Please ask your wife to put her sentiments away and provide the little creatures a good lovely home.

Being a bird lover myself it really hurts when people say "I have no interest in interacting with these birds, I just want them silenced until either my wife gets fed up and does something about or they die of old age or something.
I feel like I'm about to snap and leave them out in the woods or something."

In india we have locanto, please check in your place you will have craiglist etc where you can post about your birdies..if any family would like to adopt them.

Till then please take care of the birds..please give them fresh food and water once a day

I really hope that the birdies get lovely home soon!!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Wow, I can't believe what I just read. Please take everyone's advice and re-home these cockatiels or take them to a bird rescue, because you and your wife definitely don't sound like suitable owners.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I agree with everyone here. Please do not own any birds. It's not only about the screaming, you have a bad attitude. Birds have feelings, like you. How would you like it if you were in a cage the whole day and was told to shut up? How about to get your voice removed? That sounds sick. Just give them away to an owner who can actually care for them, and replace them with stuffed animals. Because that's the only thing you might be able to care for.

Cockatiels aren't even that loud. I have a sun conure and I don't even get bothered by its call. Cockatiels have such tiny chirps.

Your cockatiels can't survive in the woods. They are been domesticated. They were born in cages when food is served to them. You need to speak with your wife and find those birds a better home.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
As I have mentioned in other threads, and others have too, they are birds, being birds, in a human world. We can't expect them to understand they have to be quiet, they can't chew everything in sight, or poop on the furniture.

I understand the thought process behind wanting to keep them around for sentimental reasons, but the truth is neither you or your wife want them, so they will only ever get basic care, no love or mental stimulation. For that reason, I'd suggest a framed photograph of them to hang on the wall. They can be rehomed to someone who enjoys having birds around.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Rehome them. Some people are not meant to be bird owners and I do believe you are one. It's not for everybody, but your ideas on what to do with them are not ok. If you can't handle the cockatiels, find them a home where they'll be taken care of and having their needs met

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, I agree with everyone here. I am a horrible bird owner, I don't want anything to do with these animals. I'm not totally heartless, or I would have "accidentally" left the window open and the cage unlocked before work this morning. God knows I was tempted when the little **** started screeching at 5:30 AM. I don't know who first had the idea of taking these things out of the wild and putting them in cages, but that person had mental problems.

Anyway, I'm bringing up some of the suggestions I've read here to my wife, and hopefully she'll come around. There are definitely good points here, and my wife has a soft spot for animals (which is how we got stuck in this mess in the first place), so maybe she can be convinced to take them to a shelter or something.

P.S., the stuffed animal jab didn't really offend me because guess what? I don't want to be taking care of anything! That's the whole point of this, genius. But it did give me the idea of putting an old teddy bear on their cage staring down at them. Probably won't last forever, but for now they are just staring at it and hissing instead of screeching like usual. Thanks for the idea!

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Alright, how about this? Make sure the birds have food and water, and leave them be until you rehome them. Traumatizing small defenseless birds isn't going to help your situation at all. I insist you rehome them immediately

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I don't know who first had the idea of taking these things out of the wild and putting them in cages, but that person had mental problems.
You do realize you are on a bird forum, filled with bird lovers. Listen, I'm sorry for what I said earlier. It was wrong of me. I just got a little worried for them. I know you're planning on giving them away, but try not to give them a hard time. They don't deserve it.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
God knows I was tempted when the little **** started screeching at 5:30 AM.
Do you cover their cage with a blanket? My tiel never starts screeching that early.

I don't know who first had the idea of taking these things out of the wild and putting them in cages, but that person had mental problems.
They happen to make many people happy, as you can see on this forum, and we don't leave them in cages all the time anyway. And they are not "things". :(

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
By the way, if you tell us where you live some people here might be able to adopt your tiels.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Personally I feel if you are not taking care of these birds the way the original owner would of then you are not fulfilling any obligation anyway so you might as well rehome them, at least that way you and the birds have a chance at a happy life.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I see you joined here in 2013. Since you said you got married recently, and that these are your wife's birds, and that it was from a deceased family member. Why would you make an account back then? Have you had cockatiels in 2013? What made you react now? It's been 3 years. Not possible for someone to stay quiet for that long. Seems fishy to me.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts