Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to end up pulling Bart and Nibbles youngest baby ( i was only planning on hand feeding the older 2), because when my daughter told me the youngest was on the swing Then when i got in there, I noticed it was missing a lot of feathers, So i got it out of the cage, and it looks like it's been plucked :( I don't know who did it, but Nibbles has a small bald spot on her back towards the tail.

and I can't get the youngest to eat, I've gently pried his/her beak open with the syringe and squirted some food in, but it just sat there with the food in it's mouth, it wouldn't swallow it. I have been trying and trying for the last 2 days (today makes 3), Fortunately the other 2 siblings will feed him/her, But it refuses to let me feed it, I've done everything I have with the others I've hand fed. I even make sure when I'm feedings siblings it can see them , Eat, hoping it'll catch on from them.

The older 2 are starting to eat Pellets, and Millet.

The baby turned a month old today, the 2nd oldest turned a month old on the 19th and the oldest turned a month old on the 17th of this month.

Here is a couple pictures of the Baby (not the best but he/she refused to hold still) - Just a few days prior to these pics (which were Yesterday when I pulled him) he was feathered like the 2 in the living room that i've been feeding for a few weeks.

and here's a couple of the older 2 I took one day last week when i was feeding them (the bare spots on the wings have now grown in)

Oldest baby

Second oldest

I was surprised that the youngest baby was out, and then I noticed Nibbles wasn't coming out the nest box like she normally does when I open the cage door, So I opened the nest box and to my surprise was an Egg.

So I don't know if they beat the baby up to get him out for the new eggs or what. I don't even know who did it, I've never seen either one doing it, and I've never seen Bart plucking Nibbles (but she has a bare spot on her back - BUT she could of done it to her self),
the nest box and cage are both more then big enough for the 3 of them, it's big enough for all 3 of their babies and them.

I just don't understand why they did it

And I don't know how to get him/her to eat when she/he refuses

we brought nibbles out at lunch time, and put her in with her babies, Hoping she'd feed the youngest one, but she just wanted out of the brooder and wanted nothing to do with them. I do not want to put him/her back in the cage so he'll be fed (he had dried food on his beak when I pulled him out yesterday So one of them was feeding him), because I'm scared they'll pluck him more or worse kill him.

Any Suggestions on how to get this lil one to eat.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Have you tried spoon feeding? It's typically very hard to get babies to eat once they're past a certain age. They're so used to the parents food and then they want nothing to do with formula. I would just keep persisting and making sure that the siblings continue to feed him.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I would make sure that the siblings feed him aswell. Just make sure that the siblings save enough for themselves. I would put some seeds in with the babies also and hopefully he will eat some seed aswell.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep i've tried spoon feeding, I'm still trying to get the older two to take to a spoon but they're content with the syringe

I have a lid from one of my smaller storage containers in there with pellets/ and some seeds and I have a piece of millet hanging I'd given them a small piece a few days ago and once they started eating on it, they didn't stop :)

This evening i got a little bit down him, he's still clamping that beak shut like a child does with their mouth when they refuse to take some nasty tasting medicine - But he doesn't realize he's got competition I'm very hard headed, and I won't stop until he starts eating :)

right now they're all cuddled up together sleeping. they learned they have a voice and they'll call to the other birds :D :D and they're all flying once the older 2 start to get a full belly, they start getting antsy and don't want to sit still then they fly off on me LOL, then I get them and feed them a lil more and then they end up falling asleep on me :love:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Wow!! I am impressed with all you have done.

There is no advice I can offer since I am not that experienced.. But we (meaning myself and my tiels) have just said a couple of prayers for you and your little family.

It looks like you are doing all you can do. Hang in there. Keep up posting the status and include pics. They are helpful. Don't give up on the baby.

From what I have been reading on this thread, it looks like you are getting great advice from the other more experienced members.

Please Care and Keep the Faith

Kathie

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you ,

and I won't give up, he/ she doesn't know who it's messing with LOL I can be more hard headed and stubborn then he/she can be and I know i'm more persistent it'll eventually get tired of me telling it to eat, and putting food in its mouth, that'll it give in and eat :D

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I hope the baby starts to eat some food off you soon! :D It looks like your trying your best but you've just got a naughty baby on your hands!! :lol: Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I got it to get some food down this morning, not on his own though, but i was proud he actually swallowed it, instead of sitting there with it in his mouth letting it ooze out the sides. of course he wasn't to thrilled with me but he'll get over it :)

every time he actually ate the food i'd rub his head and tell him good boy, I told my b/f if he ever starts to talk, The 1st thing he'll no doubt pick up is every time he takes a bite he'll Say good boy when he's done chewing LOL (people are going to think he has some sort of birdie O.C.D. ) lol

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
That's great that he had some food!! :D Lets hope he carries on accepting it and not just letting it drip out the sides anymore! :thumbu:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts