Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so buttercup is young, 4 months ish, the girl I bought her from didn't know. She can't fly because her wings were cut disgustingly short and I think she might be too heavy as well. I'm not 100% sure that she's fat but I know she's probably getting there if she's not already. She's 103g some mornings and when I took her to the vet less than a month ago she was only 91 and the vet said she was a good weight but closer to chubby than skinny. Well she's gained 12g since then so I'm betting she's chubby now. I picked all the sunflower seeds from the mix last night (yeah it took forever and there were SO MANY) because I heard they're very fatty. They'll be given as treats. Is there anything else I can do to get her weight down a bit? She can't fly so she gets no exercise that way. She walks around a bit but that's it. She eats, ontop if her seed mix, pellets (sometimes, she's picky some days) and bok choy.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Tiels' weights can vary quite a bit depending on body size. My tiel is only 74 grams but the vet says it's a good weight for his size. Try to encourage her to play. Hopefully her wing feathers will grow back soon as flying will help a lot with weight management.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts