Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall! As mentioned in the title, my Baby (that's his name) has been pacing a lot this past week and a half, and I can't figure out why.

He turned a year old on August 10th.
His food is same old.
I rotated his toys. No change.
His stool is healthy. He doesn't show any physical symptoms, besides maybe trembling a tiny bit harder than usual at times, but I attributed that to the weather going from very hot to very cold in the past week or two.
The only other notable change is that he just finished molting. His water has had Perrotonic in it for a couple months (a supplement my Vet recommended to his half seed/pellets diet, especially in times of molt), but I've just been giving him straight water since he started pacing, to no avail. He's been on straight water for a week now.

In addition to the pacing, Baby went from a being Velcro bird to wanting to stay in his cage most of the time almost overnight. Whenever I take him out of the cage to be with me, he just goes straight back to the cage which is very different from his normal behavior. He also definitely likes scratches less, but he was never a cuddly bird to begin with.

Otherwise his mood and attitude haven't changed. He's still the same chirpy bird and is always happy to see me or my mom who lives with me. We didn't fight or anything, I didn't yell at him or hit him or anything, nor do I ever.

I'm at my wits' end. Really hope some of you here might have an idea.

Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
19 Posts
One of my tiels is a pacer... he seems to do it when he is anxious or excited. We've only had him a few months and I assumed it was just part of his personality as I have never had a tiel that did it as much as him. He paced in his box the entire way home when we got him (it was a 45 minute drive, so that's a lot of pacing!). Currently he is obsessed with one of my other tiels that lives in a neighboring cage. He paces his cage on the side facing his neighbor pretty constantly. When I open his cage door, he goes right over to hang on the neighboring cage, but stops pacing. He wants nothing else but to be by his neighbor. I guess I interpret the pacing behavior as: "he wants to get to something he can't get to". What I started doing this week is taking him out to a separate room, away from the neighboring bird, and after (screaming for a short bit) he calms down a lot and then stops pacing and interacts with me in a very friendly manor. I just started doing this for about 10 minutes at a time to see if I can try and break the obsession and pacing behavior.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts