Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after your birds have a good old fly around and you lift them to your ear, can you hear their heartbeat? I can hear it sometimes in mine when they haven't even been flying. It's fast and obviously it needs to be a real quiet room. It sounds a bit like when you hear a helicopter off in the distance. I'm just wondering if this is normal or if it is indeed their hearts I'm hearing.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I just did this and I heard it! it does sound like a helicopter! But is it just the heart or the breathing and the blood rushing around too? Either way it's really fast!

When Murray has a mad fly and lands she sometimes pants really fast for a couple of seconds. It's so cute!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Birds have a very fast resting heart rate as part of their quick metabolism. They use much more energy relative to their size than we do.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have never heard it, but if they are perched on the end of my finger after flying I can feel their pulse. It is very quick as you say.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay great, that's a relief! One has had psittacosis so everything sends me into a panic now haha. I thought it was their little hearts but I had to be sure! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have never tried it, but I LOVE when you candle an egg at a few days, and you can SEE their little heart going a hundred miles an hour! It's the most amazing thing!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
It's pretty cool. :) When Coco sits really close to my ear I can hear his heartbeat too.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
heartbeat

Once when I was at the vet she let me hear Bennie's heart through the stethoscope. Sounds like a little motorboat!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts