Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I discovered a small soggy patch of drywall underneath my bedroom window. It turns out water has been leaking into the wall there because there is a weird hole in exterior wall which must be sealed. This has been happening for many months and it rains constantly in Florida.

The guy repairing the wall wants to set up an air scrubber for 48 hrs and then use an antimicrobial fogger. I told him this is not acceptable because I have a pet bird and I cannot put my bird at risk by relaesing any form of chemicals into the air.... they refuse to do the job without it... they do not even know if there is mold in that small soggy patch!!!!!

Should I be worried about antimicrobial foggers and air scrubbers? Or are they harmless to my tiel? To me an antimcorobial fogger sounds like they are going to be fumigating the house with chemicals... I cannot allow that. I need to get a second opinion by someone else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know but if I were in your situation I would just board your bird until things are settled. It isn't fun. We had to flea bomb our house last month. Because of late notice I wound up boarding my birds at a dog vet, not ideal but at least I knew they were safe until they could come home.

As a home owner I would get the repair work done quickly mold is very bad and can make people very sick, probably isn't good for the bird either. On the bright side at least winter's in Florida tend to be much dryer. I assume you have had more then one person out to evaluate the problem, if not I would also recommend getting a second opinion before plunking down a bunch of $$$.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow, upon further due diligence I most certainly will NOT be allowing them to be spraying those foggers (toxic checmials into the air in my home!!!)

http://www.1800gotmold.com/blog/the-argument-against-biocides-why-we-dont-need-to-kill-mold/

These money hungry idiots do not even know if there is mold in that tiny soggy patch in my bedroom!!!! I am calling another contractor who can do the job safely and properly!!! I simply need someone to take out that area of drywall and replace it and fix the leak!!!! Not fumigate the entire house with TOXIC crap, I will not allow that my bird is at risk.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know but if I were in your situation I would just board your bird until things are settled. It isn't fun. We had to flea bomb our house last month. Because of late notice I wound up boarding my birds at a dog vet, not ideal but at least I knew they were safe until they could come home.

As a home owner I would get the repair work done quickly mold is very bad and can make people very sick, probably isn't good for the bird either. On the bright side at least winter's in Florida tend to be much dryer. I assume you have had more then one person out to evaluate the problem, if not I would also recommend getting a second opinion before plunking down a bunch of $$$.
I don't trust this guy, I am definitely getting second opinion. Unfortunately even the winters in south Florida are extremely humid and muggy... only get a cool front which blows in for a couple days here and there and then it's humid like heck in between.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to call this company... I like what their article says:

http://www.1800gotmold.com/blog/the-argument-against-biocides-why-we-dont-need-to-kill-mold/

I cannot allow anyone to start spraying dangerous chemicals into my home. It is not necessary. I know mold is extremely dangerous... but the fix for my specific situation is easy as it has been caught early and is confined to a tiny patch area underneath the window. These contractors just want to suck more money out of me.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Darn!!! I just spoke to the company I gave link to above and they were so nice but they are in NJ and do not serve FL :(

The guy said he doesn't blame me and he would NEVER allow such foggers to be used in his home either and that those toxic chemicals are NOT needed or necessary. He said the drywall simply needs to be replaced in that area... fix the leak and then carefully have a professional use the HEPA vacuum system to prevent any possible mold spores from contaminating anything else.

Time for me to call around to find hopefully find another DECENT company like the one I just spoke to with on the phone.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What the heck??? I told the guy who was going to do the job... the guy who DEMANDED he must use biocides "chemical foggers" (which by the way costs a TON of money) and I told him NOWAY will I allow that... and now he emailed me the below... what he is saying is INCORRECT he is clearly trying to scam more money out of me!! Second issue... they didn't even TEST if there is mold there... there could be no mold!!! Not only for the health of my bird... But I for MYSELF do not want unnecessary chemical foggers in my home they are not needed I have verified this with other companies who are unfortunately not serving my area... and I cannot find one who does serve my area :(

----------------
We might have been able to wipe down the area with just soap and water if you didn't have a block wall there. Because the block wall (behind the drywall) is porous, soap and water and the use of a HEPA vacuum is not enough to assure the removal of mold spores that have developed inside the block's porous material. Unfortunately, I don't see another way to make sure that the job is done properly. But I completely understand why you are against us using chemicals. Your bird is a dear pet, and I know it's health is very important.
--------------------

·
Registered
786 Posts
So much frustration isn't it? I agree with you 100% though. Good luck finding someone in your area who will agree with you.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I again contacted that other company for a second opinion and see below what they said in response to that douchebag saying I "must" use those toxic chemicals.... they again confirmed you do NOT need to use those nasty/toxic chemical foggers! I WISH the below company saying the below info served my area, I would use them in a heartbeat! I guarantee all the ones I call tomorrow are going to do the same thing as the douchebag I'm fighting with now.... they are going to DEMAND to use biocide... I don't want biocides in my home... not for myself nor my bird! They do this because then they can literally charge more $$$ I wish I could get the heck out of this house and move into another house I hate this house!!!

The company I contacted for second opinion says....

Juliet,
Remediation is not about removing all the spores. It's not possible. And even if they kill them, which is not necessary, more will land there later and grow on the surface if it remains wet. Furthermore, mold doesn't grow on concrete. It may grow on the dust or the paint, but not concrete. There is ZERO need for biocides in the scenario.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
... it seems like "air scrubbers" are safe though???

It looks like that just cleans the air? Unlike "air foggers" (aka biocides) of course. This is driving me nuts. :wacko: I don't want to have to board my poor tiel for several days at the vet because I'm too scared to bring him home due to deadly biocides in my home air. I've got to find someone decent to get this resolved.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What kind of companies are you contacting?

Have you tried a general contractor to just do the repairs?

Maybe even a local handyman?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What kind of companies are you contacting?

Have you tried a general contractor to just do the repairs?

Maybe even a local handyman?
I'm calling to call a few today and see if one can come out and give FREE quote (I'm so poor right now it's not even funny)... but I highly suspect they will refuse to even touch the wall without first telling me I have to have a mold company come out (I almost feel it's STUPID for mold inspector who charges several hundreds of dollars when I already know there is mold there??). I know earlier I said the guy doesn't even know if there is mold there... but he was very insistent there is mold due to length of time and condition of the drywall. Below is a pic of the problem. There is hole on exterior wall next to window which is allowing water to leak underneath my window sill.

I also have moisture problem in the kitchen ceiling, the popcorn cerling next to AC vent is constantly moist from condensation (that will 100% lead to mold). So I have 2 serious problems that must be urgently fixed....

I think I'm going to have very difficult time getting someone to agree NOT to use biocides :(

EDIT: Excuse the ugly walls/baseboards, it's my tiel's fault I cannot paint my house!

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry if I'm boring you guys or annoying. Just realized I posted 500 times in a row to myself in this thread, oops.

Another company is coming out here who repair drywalls from dry rot and water damage. I already stuck it to this prick on the phone I will NOT allow any biocides to be used in my home. He said it depends where and how it's used.... but I'm going to show him all the info the other company sent me about how it's not necessary to use biocides. I'm curious what this one's going to say.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I'd stay in a hotel with my tiels for a couple days and let them do their thing. I had a soggy patch in my bathroom in WA and ended up losing 7 tiels to black mold. And that wasn't even the worst of it. There was a whole wall downstairs that was moldy and they didn't know it until we were moving out (which explained why my birds kept getting sick and my hubby had allergies.)

All I'm saying is, in a place like FL, there's likely mold and it's best if you let them do the job. Get a hotel, stay with your tiel and let it air out really good before you move back in. We had to bomb that same house a couple times too with foggers and our tiels were fine. We'd take them on a long car ride and then my hubby would air the house out before we brought them back in.

Edit to add: I just read the rest of the posts and if you can find a company to do it without the biocides you need to. The other thing he had wanted to use is just to scrub the air (think that if they are dealing with mold spores and this is FL we are talking about, I grew up there) so that they don't inhale those spores either. Good luck in finding someone who can do it the right way.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd stay in a hotel with my tiels for a couple days and let them do their thing. I had a soggy patch in my bathroom in WA and ended up losing 7 tiels to black mold. And that wasn't even the worst of it. There was a whole wall downstairs that was moldy and they didn't know it until we were moving out (which explained why my birds kept getting sick and my hubby had allergies.)

All I'm saying is, in a place like FL, there's likely mold and it's best if you let them do the job. Get a hotel, stay with your tiel and let it air out really good before you move back in. We had to bomb that same house a couple times too with foggers and our tiels were fine. We'd take them on a long car ride and then my hubby would air the house out before we brought them back in.

Edit to add: I just read the rest of the posts and if you can find a company to do it without the biocides you need to. The other thing he had wanted to use is just to scrub the air (think that if they are dealing with mold spores and this is FL we are talking about, I grew up there) so that they don't inhale those spores either. Good luck in finding someone who can do it the right way.
Crap, now I'm thinking it would be better to have a mold inspector... NOT a mold remediation company because the risk of getting scammed by them is too high since they can claim I have "serious mold all over the house" even if I don't just to get more $$$ from me. I would rather deal with a mold inspector who does NOT make more profit if there is indeed mold in several places. I'm positive there has to be mold in my bedroom wall though.

Those mold inspectors are soooooo expensive and I am in debt right now until I get my next commission but it must be done. This other guy from another company is coming to my house this afternoon. I'm eager to hear what he has to say.... maybe they can ONLY apply the biocide in my bedroom... then I have to board my tiel at the vet's as I cannot afford to stay in a hotel right now sadly.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The guy who just came to my house from another company.... I really jumped on this guy's throat that I do not permit any biocides to be used and then I showed him the documentation I had on biocides and how the other company I got second opinion from does not ever use biocides. I think I scared this guy LOL. He said I might not even have mold.

He said if I do have mold he would spray some "green" chemical.. yeah right! "Green" my butt... I don't believe that one bit... but he said he would email me the ingredients in that "green chemical" and it would only be used on that small area that has mold. I said that would be ok... he will email me the quote (I am nervous to see how much he wants to charge!!). I still want to get a quick THIRD opinion from yet one more company. It's been free estimates so far....

I like this guy better than the last because he said I most certainly do NOT need to fog the house with biocides and he ONLY does this in houses that have serious visible mold in large areas. I liked the sound of that. The guy prior to this guy wanted to fog the heck out of this house with biocides. Noway Hosay.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This sounds much better. But find out what the fgreen is.
I don't really like this second guy... there was something "off" about him. I don't trust him. He also said the only thing he would use to fix the leak is to simply caulk it. That sounds CRAZY to me????? In that case I can fix the leak myself but I do not feel simply caulking the crack/hole in the exterior wall which caused this entire mess in the first place is acceptable? As caulking degrades overtime and then this whole problem will happen all over again!

I have caulked many things in the past using the toughest most durable forms and it never seals things properly. Am I correct about this or wrong? I would have thought he would use a far more durable and surefire way to seal the leak??? Also the neighbor's sprinkle system is hammering my window at night blasting it with water which is right where the leak in my wall is.... I don't see how ANY calking could withhold all this??? Crap, now I need to have a THIRD company come out here for another opinion, not good.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OMG how ironic... I was so worried about being scammed by a mold remediation company... yet ironically, a mold remediation company saved me. I just spoke to a super nice guy (who was insanely honest) from a mold remediation company in my area. He was kind enough to EDUCATE me... if the affected area is less than 10 by 10 feet (which in my case it is definitely less) then I do NOT need the services of ANY mold remediation company as they will just be trying to scam more money out of me. He had me download this PDF file....

"A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home EPA-402-K"
https://www.google.com/search?q=mold+epa+booklet&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

He told me if anyone tries to suck more money out of me for "mold remediation/testing services" I should just stick this documentation into their face. A regular contractor can easily solve my problem... if there is mold... then a simple scrub down with an antimicrobial (which can be bought from Home Depot) will be sufficient... no need for biocides/checmical foggers!

This nice guy referred me to a guy who was too busy to help me so I got referred to another guy... hopefully the guy he referred me to will finally get this done!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts