Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't really understand how and why it happens and if it's normal or not. My cockatiel is female and hasn't laid any eggs. I've had her for almost 2 years now..
There could be various things that can lead to infertile eggs. Females without mating with makes can still lay eggs and will be infertile due to its surrounding habitat.
Do you have a bonded pair and have they mated successfully? I have had a pair which used to mate but they could really have any clutch raised as the eggs were infertile and they did not have the right perch/ balance and position.
Have you candled the eggs after about 5 days to check if they were indeed infertile or DIS?

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Some hens will lay eggs without a mate and some will not. It depends on how hormonal they are. Be glad that your girl isn't laying eggs. Infertile eggs would be a useless drain on her body's resources, and a threat to her life if she had problems with egg binding.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some hens will lay eggs without a mate and some will not. It depends on how hormonal they are. Be glad that your girl isn't laying eggs. Infertile eggs would be a useless drain on her body's resources, and a threat to her life if she had problems with egg binding.
Wow thank you for your explanation! I was getting worried because I thought it was a bad thing if she doesn't lay somw infertile eggs but I'm glad to know she'll be ok!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.