Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm planning on getting a cockatiel in June, and we were planning on making almost everything for the bird (toys, perches, swings etc) and we were going to make a cage for the bird and I have a few questions about that. And a few others lol...
So first, the wooden studs you can get from like Lowes, or other hardware stores, are those safe? I know that I would need to stay away from studs made of toxic wood and I heard somewhere that I need to stay away from pressure treated (I'm pretty sure that means like pallet wood).
Also are there any kinds of apple trees that are toxic to the bird? We have a couple apple trees in our yard I was thinking of using but I don't know what kind they are or if they are even all the same kind.
Can I please have help with this? Also, please no toxic comments, keep it clean please!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, just worried because there are a lot of different types of apples and when i look up about if there are any that are toxic it just says that apple is safe so idk if that includes all apple varieties or just most or what. do you know about the studs from hardware stores?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I will definitely still try to check out what king of wood it is, and sorry to keep this going but as a noob I have a lot of questions lol, when you make perches from tree branches, I know you have to clean them in this long drawn out process but I was wondering if it was safe to leave the leaves on so you could add sort of a "woodsy" type feel for the inside of the cage. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
My bird vet and research prior to getting my first cockatiel said to use natural branches. They don't need to be stripped or made smooth that is not what they deal with in the wild. Eucalyptus trees or gum trees are the best because cockatiels are Australian in origin. But they are not the only types that you can use. My research said to be very careful if not using cedar wood. As for the leaves the birds will remove them themselves very soon after arrival and they will enjoy doing so but you may want to make sure there are at least some branches that they can move along freely. Knots in the wood are fine too as they enjoy chewing these and step over them easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.