Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luma has just had a massive molt!

I've not had her for a full year yet so I was very worried when I uncovered her cage one morning and found a load of feathers on the floor. The rest of the day she was shedding feathers all over the house! She's lost almost all of her crest and her 2 longest tail feathers (as well as a load of other feather from all over her body).

Now lots of little pinfeathers are poking through and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help her out. She keeps muttering angrily when she preens herself :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
How old is Luna? She must be molting into her adult plumage (these molts are usually the longest and most intense). If she likes scritches, you can gently pick the keratin sheaths off of the feathers to help lessen the uncomfortableness and itchiness. You can also feed her foods rich in calcium and protein to help the feathers regrow. Broccoli, spinach, scrambled eggs and soft food (conditioning food) are all great foods to feed during a molt.

Oh, and regular baths/showers really help with the itchy pin feathers. I'm sure the other members will have some good suggestions, too. :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
What Charvicki suggested :) I also stress giving your fid a shower/mist bath. It's supposed to help with the itchiness and help the keratin sheaths open easier :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How old is Luna? She must be molting into her adult plumage (these molts are usually the longest and most intense). If she likes scritches, you can gently pick the keratin sheaths off of the feathers to help lessen the uncomfortableness and itchiness. You can also feed her foods rich in calcium and protein to help the feathers regrow. Broccoli, spinach, scrambled eggs and soft food (conditioning food) are all great foods to feed during a molt.

Oh, and regular baths/showers really help with the itchy pin feathers. I'm sure the other members will have some good suggestions, too. :)
She'll be two at the end of next month. She loves head scritches, so I've been giving her plenty of those :) I was worried about picking at the sheaths but I'll give that a try. Luckily she also likes eggs and spinach so I'll make sure that's on the menu for the time being :D
Thank you all for the advise!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I also echo the sentiment that extra baths are a big help. When Joey has been through his two somewhat heavy molts, he will try to do his bath dance in his food dish to help lessen the itch, unless we give him a bath every other day. We gave him one daily at the busiest part of his biggest molt. He seems so relieved afterward.

·
Registered
15 Posts
About scritches & scratching at sheaths

I am sure you must be aware already - but repeating just to make sure :

If you are giving scritches OR trying to help in removing sheaths - PLEASE make sure, you don't touch the "closed" sheaths.

If I see a "open at the end" kinda sheath OR a loose sheath - Only then I think, it's okay to help by scratching it off - in the same direction as the growth.

Again, your cockatiel will let you know, if she likes it or not.

Touching a "closed" sheath will almost instantly result in a snappy reaction from the bird.

If you have a humidifier in room, keep the humidity higher than usual to help.

Thanks,

Cocotiel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts