Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just wondering able to for a while now.

Spring is coming up fast here in New Zealand and I want to grow some fresh leafy greens in my trough garden for my birds. I still have seeds from the start of this year but I ordered some wheatgrass seeds and baby beet greens seeds but also some Lovage for my dad.

I did a quick web check on if Lovage is suitable to give to brings and only came up with this website:
http://www.birds-online.de/gesundheit/gesallgemein/frischkost_en.htm

Just wondering if they can have it without any problems or if I should avoid giving it to them completely?

(So sorry for putting it in the wrong forum, I haven't used this website in a while)

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
i moved your thread to the diet section

i am not sure as i do not know what the plant is, you might have to wait for a member from your area who might know. but if the site says it is safe, i would maybe give it once a week to be safe.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for moving it.

It isn't native to New Zealand, it comes from Europe where it is used as a herb (leaves) a vegetable (roots) and spice (seeds).

It kind of looks and smells like celery as it is in the same family as celery, however not sure if they have the same chemical composition.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
hm, i still have not heard of it. but if the site says its safe, play it safe and give in small moderation :)

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Instead of looking for it on bird-safe lists, I searched for lovage toxicity. It sounds a little scary. It isn't directly labeled toxic but it's not recommended for pregnant women or people with kidney problems. It's used sparingly as a culinary herb and is also used for medicinal purposes. I wouldn't want to feed this herb to my birds, but it might be safe in small infrequent amounts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a much better idea of finding the answers I want, might use that next time I want to find something out.

It looks as though it might not be good to give it to them, just to be safe I will stick with my Silverbeet, Pak choi and Kale for this season.

Thank you for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts