Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two cockatiels, Desiree, who has been adopted from a negligent household and is not very friendly, and Clytemnestra, who has been hand trained and is very sweet and affectionate. I feel bad for her because when she tries to socialize with Desiree, the reception is cold and she just wants to hang out. We play with the birds a couple of hours a day at least, but I still see Clytemnestra trying to play with Desiree with no success. I built the cage myself and it's extremely large, and I would be interested in getting a third bird. I was wondering whether it would be an option to bring a parrotlet into the bird household or whether they wouldn't socialize well. Desiree is relatively ambivalent about Clytemnestra unless the latter tries to engage her, so I don't think she will be too upset by the new addition, perhaps just slightly annoyed. Is it alright to get a similarly sized bird of a different species?:confused:

·
Registered
104 Posts
My only cockatiel has been living with 2 female parakeets (in a quite large cage) for the past 3 months and they seem to be doing very well. At first, one of the parakeets kept messing with my tiel though....for only a few days, but then they get a long perfectly fine.... The keets hang out with each other, and the tiel hangs out with his human friends :)

I don't know much about parrotlet, but I've heard it's better to get the same species. Have you thought about getting another tame cockatiel for Clytemnestra?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cockatiels with another species

Hi!

Yeah, I will probably end up getting another cockatiel for Clytemnestra to be friends with. I love them so much, but parrotlets are super adorable! I know I want to get one or a couple of them as soon as I can, probably when I can just go ahead and build another cage for them. I was just wondering if it was a decent combination. I can buy another cockatiel who was hand-trained by the same person that Clytemnestra was bred by, so that's probably the option I will go with for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts