Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally posted this in the wrong area before, but I fixed it :wf cinnamon:
I was wondering what mutation my cockatiel is, he is five months old and I was told he is a male.
I have attached pictures of Frost below! Thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have not a clue on mutation but Frost is a beautiful bird!
I do not believe you will be able to be 100% sure of the sex till they have had their molt to adult feathers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Kzall
Thanks for the compliment, I think he's pretty too! When do most cockatiels have their first molt? I guess I'll have to wait to find out whether Frost is a he or a she.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looking at your pictures, I would say you have a pearl.....just like my two. I have a male and a female that look VERY similar to yours. I see what looks like a brighter touch of yellow on his head so there IS a chance you may have a pied pearl. Here is a picture of my female Pepper.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
http://www.justcockatiels.net/pearl.html Its a very good article about pearls. If you will look at the picture ''pearl patterns"' -it looks like you have a combination of white marginated and yellow marginated pearl. If your bird is 5 months already you can determine sex by behavior any ''normal'' male would be whistling by this time

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
Pearl for sure. Maybe cinnamon pearl - there's so much pearling that it's hard to be sure whether Frost is cinnamon or grey.

If he's really a male, he'll start losing those pearl markings at the first molt and will end up looking like a normal grey or ordinary cinnamon. If "he" is really a she, the pearl markings will stay.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Yup pearl for sure! But no way to determine sex until after the first molt. I had a male pearl that I swore was a female until about 8 months old when he all of a sudden started singing and chasing my girl around. So some are late bloomers lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, everyone! So Frost is a pearl. I think he is a male because he was singing and dancing when I first got him, but he could just be an odd female lol. He hasn't done since I brought him home, now he just makes homing calls. Is he just adjusting to his surroundings?

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
Birds are shy in a new home, and less likely to sing and dance because they're not sure whether any predators are hanging around. If he was singing and dancing before, he'll start doing it again once he feels more comfortable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts