Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put together a basic first aid kit to have on hand for my Tiels. Just incase something should come up like broken blood feathers and such. Can someone give me an idea of what I should have in the kit? :wf cinnamon:

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Antibiotic ointment for minor cut or scrapes

Swabs for applications

Hydrogen peroxide solution (3%)

Styptic powder to stop bleeding on toe nails and feathers

Syringe (large, no needle) for administering medication

Small nail scissors.

That's all I can think of at the moment, if you don't have styptic power, flour or cornstarch is a good replacement

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
A few more things not mentioned:

Baytril (broad spectrum antibiotic useful if you can't get to a vet)
Needle Nose Pliers (for removing broken blood feathers)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suggested places to buy?

Any suggestions on a good place to purchase Nail Scissors and Baytril Antibiotic? :lutino:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I no longer use blood stop powder, ever.

Instead I use cayenne pepper, finely ground, as an anticoagulant and also as a mild anti-infective. It works great, better than those powders full of chemicals which burn and encourage scarring because they kill off tissue. Keep the powder from getting in the eyes or the nares and being inhaled. If the birds pick at the dried powder, it doesn't hurt them because it is just ground peppers and birds like the taste of it (although to them, it does not have a 'hot' taste). It stops bleeding right away and encourages clotting and healing of wounds.

You can get bird nail scissors at any pet shop or on line from most stores. Instead of using needle nose pliers for pulling blood feathers, I use small blunt forceps. You will need a prescription for the Baytril.

I also keep four by four sterile gauze pads, two inch wide paper tape, two inch and four inch wide vet wrap and four inch wide roller bandage in my first aid kit for the birds and cats. As well as a ten cc syringe to give emergency feedings or water, if needed, I have three one cc tuberculin syringes (hash marks on syringe are one tenth of a cc and makes accurate measurement of meds easy and precise. Also get a regular eye dropper with either a glass or plastic barrel so you can use it to give water in the side of the beak or rinse out eyes or cuts gently. I keep in my fridge a liter of saline IV solution, a syringe of Avian Benebac and I have a small jar of Harrison hand feedinging formula in my freezer in case I have to hand feed a baby bird or give the formula to an adult who is not eating. I prefer the Harrisons formula because it is made with rice instead of corn. I feed Harrisons pellets to my birds and it is easy to crush and mix the pellets in with hand feeding formula to boost nutrition in a sick bird.

You can also do some pre-sickness training to help your birds accept having to take medicine from a syringe or spoon. Get those one cc syringes and some apple or carrot juice and teach your birds to take the juice from the syringe. It teaches you how to use a syringe and teaches the birds that good tasting treats come out of them as well. You can get your birds used to taking food off a spoon by mixing up some cream of what or oatmeal in the microwave, putting a little sugar in it for a treat and offering it to your birds. That way the birds are not afraid of you offering stuff from a spoon or syringe when it really counts they cooperate with you.

Hope these pointers help you assemble your first aid kit.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Needle nose pliers always did the job for me.

Baytril can be purchased without a prescription last time I bought it here. Just remember it has to be the kind labeled for birds; the type labelled for cats and dogs won't work. Baytril and other antibiotics should only be used with probiotics to replace the good bacteria used for digestion.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Mine consists of...

Two pairs of hemostats (for pulling blood feathers)
A ziploc bag full of corn starch (for stopping blood flow)
Some q-tips (for dipping into water and cleaning blood)
Small cup (for water)

Jar of cinnamon
Jar of garlic powder
Jar of ginger powder
(when sprinkled on food, these three work together as an immune system booster)

Jar of probiotics

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Cinnamon, garlic powder, and ginger powder huh? I'll have to try that the next time one of mine get sick.
Yep, credit for that goes to srtiels. Make sure you get POWDERS and not salts. :)

It's also nice to have the cinnamon there because Rocko loves it sprinkled on his snacks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cinnamon, garlic powder, and ginger powder?

What a great idea! I never heard of that but now I will definitely give it a try. Thanks! :wf cinnamon:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts