Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bird has a yeast infection and a bacterial infection, and blood is starting to show up in his droppings more regularly the last 24 hours. I've read some information that sucralfate (the ulcer aid the vet prescribed in case that's causing the bleeding) can interfere with enroflaxocin (antibiotic). His anti-yeast med is diflucan with nystatin.

Anyone know if these any of these meds can counteract each other? Should I space them out? (Which will be stressful for him because he hates being held, much less medicated.) My avian vet seemed a little unsure.

I posted a much longer post with details here:
http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=75593

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I'm not on my computer to research this, but you can search each of those meds individually and there is usually a list on the med info page that lists side effects and drug interaction information.

If you find your meds are conflicting then I'd ask the vet to switch one of the meds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again. I'm not always sure what sites are trustworthy regarding things like medicines. I'll do more research.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Judging by the meds the vet has prescribed, he is trying to treat your bird for Candidiasis..which is a type of yeast, but I don't think it matches up with the symptoms your bird is displaying.

Your vet can send fecal matter to the lab for an AGY test, and can also do a fecal float to look for Giardia..to rule those out. The bleeding really matches with the AGY though so I'd really get a test in for that. The nystatin and diflucan won't treat Avian Gastric Yeast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oy. Really not what I wanted to hear (about AGY). But I do appreciate the information. That's already clearer than the m***ive and conflicting research I've done. I'll check with the vet about testing for both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts