Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 3 month old Lutino female, Rosie. Going very slow and nonchalant with her learning to trust me and her new environment. Slow and Steady wins the race. My question is, I noticed today, her third day with me, if her food cups are in the cage she doesn't stop eating. Seriously, non-stop. I took them out yesterday and have been "making contact" with the cage by putting a cup in every hour or so, letting her eat and then taking it away after about 20 minutes. I have never had a 'Tiel this young before and I'm concerned that she's eating too much. Is there such a thing? What say you, oh wise group?

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
How much did she eat during the first two days? It's very common for a bird in a new home to be too afraid to eat at first, so she may have gotten very hungry.

Second question: are you sure that she's actually eating the food, or is she digging through unfamiliar food trying to find something that she recognizes? Birds have actually starved to death because they didn't realize that the food in their cup was edible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input! She is eating the food her breeder fed her, Zu-preem pellets and Volkman Cockatiel mix without sunflowers and millet offered only out of my hand. You're spot on that the first 2 days she didn't eat as much. Today, day 4, her eating is much more normal. She is preening and stretching and playing with her toys. We gave her a wood platform yesterday and she loves it! This is the first baby I've ever had. All my other Cockatiels were adopted at unknown adult ages. I want to make sure I do everything right with this baby. I'm a dog behaviorist and have found that the same trust building skills and patience apply here as they do with a fearful or timid dog. So, the over-eating was worrying me. Thank you for helping me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts