Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed my 3 a mix of pellets and small parrot mix, about 50/50 nowadays as I used to feed more pellets and less seed but my avian vet said that was wrong. Anyway my question is do my birds need additional calcium in the form of say a cuttlebone? I provide one but I worry that they will get too much as the pellets already have it. I gave them a calcium perch once back when I was feeding mainly pellets and that resulted in watery poop that stopped when I removed it so it's got me thinking!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Hey-o :) Your little guys should be getting enough calcium from their pellets, unless you're planning to breed, then a cuttle bone would be helpful.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks heaps, they seem to really demolish their cuttle bones sometimes which is why I was thinking they might have been needing extra lol maybe they just like chewing it? I hope they don't breed, they're only 5.5 months old so none of that!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Calcium like cuttlebone is helpful but not required. If they eat plenty of greens you don't need cuttlebone... Your hen may start laying if she eats it a lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts