Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure exactly where to put this, but here's my issue:

We finally upgraded Kirby's cage; it's about three times the size of his old one. I've moved all of his perches except one and all of his toys except for a couple from the old cage to the new one. We're now going to use the old cage as a sleepover cage, sick cage, or outdoor cage when the weather's nice. I've also added a bunch of new perches to the cage. One of them is a pumice stone perch, and it has his favorite toy hanging near it, and that's where he spends all of his time. The cage HAS increased his activity level (he plays with his favorite toy a lot and has to climb around the entire thing to get food and water), but we're having one issue.

He never seems to want to come out. When I reach in to take him out, he bites and hisses and protests. The odd thing is that Kirby doesn't bite. If he has a "hissy fit" he usually just kind of runs his open beak over our fingers or whatever, but now he's starting to actually bite (not hard...yet). He's not getting enough out of cage time anymore because of this. Is this cage terrotorialness? Or maybe hormones (he didn't seem to get hormonal during the breeding season, maybe he's late?)? Or could he be cranky from not enough sleep? I don't usually go to bed until 11 or later, and then I take him into his old cage to sleep in my room (he's too afraid to sleep in the new cage by himself yet), and my puppy wakes us up at around 6:30ish every morning <_<.

What do you guys think it is? And how can I prevent it? He's starting to bite harder, and I don't want to get to the point where he's drawing blood and becoming mean. This never happened in his old cage, just in the new one. It seems like he just never wants to leave it.

Also, when he starts biting and protesting when I go to take him out of the cage, should I insist he step up anyways (which he always does after a few seconds), or should I just leave him be?

·
Registered
90 Posts
One of my boys, Lorenzo, is also territorial of the cage. He will hiss and bite me if I try to get him out. If I leave him alone and just give him food or water he's fine.. but let me go anywhere near him and he freaks out. Once out of the cage he's a love bug. He won't come out of the cage at all unless I take him out. I haven't figured out anything to change it. The cage is his home and I guess he just enjoys being in there. He's never bit me hard. Once he realizes that I'm taking him out for play time he gets over it.

Maybe give Kirby a while to settle in and get comfortable. Just let him come out on his own. You just took him out of his home and he's probably a little unsure of his new surroundings. Try putting his favorite treats right outside the cage door to entice him and then slowly move the treats farther away from the door each time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'll try giving him some more time and treating him for leaving the cage. We don't want to encourage him to leave the cage on his own, though, because of our dogs.

Also, I noticed that his flight feather is growing in (the one he kept knocking out), and I can tell that it's irritating and probably hurting him. Could that be why he's acting like this, because his feather's bothering him? It might just be coincidence that the feather happened to reach the bothersome stage of growth as we put him in his new cage...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

The last few days, Kirby has been letting me take him out of his cage without complaint (most of the time). I think that he was either just adjusting to his cage, afraid I was going to put him in the little cage again (which I used to do at night and when nobody was home because the cage stand was broken, now it's fixed and safe, so his old cage has been permanently removed to the garage until it's needed), or just generally cranky because of his feather growing in. In any case, it appears to be better now. Thanks for the advice everybody :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts