Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a new tiel owner but previously had a budgie who was very well trained except for one thing: Getting him back in his cage. I had worked so hard on getting him happy to be out with us that I think I created a bad habit. It became so frustrating every time it was time for him to go back in the cage.
I don’t want to make that same mistake with my new baby and want to start off doing it right. My cockatiel is a 10 week old male who was hand raised by a super loving breeder. I’ve been amazed at how much he loves being with his human flock even though we are new to him. Instead of having to work on getting him comfortable to come out of the cage, I find myself working hard to get him comfortable inside the cage (like only giving special treats when we put him back in, for example). This is making me even more concerned that I need to prioritize cage return training from the start. I know he’s young for true training, but I’d like to have good habits for a base right away.
I’d love to hear your tricks and tips that helped you teach your cockatiel how to return to their cage when told. TIA!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts