Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!!
I have a 3 month old tiel named Ez, and he just had his leg amputated yesterday.
The cage I have for my birds is a flight cage, and I'm not sure how to set up the perches to accommodate Ez.
His current cage is a small bird cage that I generally use for travelling. There are no perches and there's a towel placed on the bottom grate to ease any stress on his foot.

I know i'm going to need some platform perches, but is there anything else in particular i'll need???
Oh, and it's also worth stating that I'm kind of on a budget, because I spent most of my money on the actual operation (im 16, ok).
More importantly, I just really want to be sure he has everything he needs to live safely/comfortably. And I know the height of the flight cage is a little iffy but it's not really an option to get rid of it, because it was a birthday present. The height isn't much of a concern for me, though, because he's already very used to climbing/balancing on one leg. He's only ever fallen off perches when my other bird has pushed him off.

(also, i am giving away my other bird, Linguini, to prevent her from hurting Ez-- She started picking on him about a week before his operation. I did make sure to give her to a loving home, though!! :tiel4: )

Thanks !!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a mother budgie have to have a leg amputated. After getting back from the vet a couple hundred dollars later, I was a bit worried about what to do. She was actually fine on her own. The two things I noticed, though, were that a) other birds liked to try to nibble at her stub, and b) every time she got out alone, she would lay down on the cage, hold on with her beak, and stretch her remaining leg out for a while. Ladders would also probably work nicely, just make sure that they're spaced well. Another suggestion in that you get one of those bird sleeping tents. I haven't tried one, but I'd think it would help.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Another suggestion in that you get one of those bird sleeping tents. I haven't tried one, but I'd think it would help.
Those tend to promote hormones so I wouldn't recommend it.

Platforms and ladders. He should be able to get around mostly on his own just fine without noticing there is even a leg missing. Do you mind my asking why it was amputated?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Placing perches closer to each other should help, too. And I second the advice of using ladders. If you wrap them up with some vet wrap, they can offer a good, soft place to rest. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do you mind my asking why it was amputated?
In his previous home he got out of his cage and ended up with his foot tangled in some computer wires. Whoever untangled him wasn't careful enough and ended up breaking his leg. By the time I got him to the vet, he had no use of his leg and surgery wasn't likely to work.

-- and thanks for the advice everyone!!! I will be getting him ladders & platforms !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts