Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a prospective tiel owner, and have been doing a bit of research lately to ensure I give my little guy the best, and safest home possible.

I have a question about cages, and more specifically, a sleeping cage.

I understand that I need to give my new tiel time to settle in when he first gets home, but I want him to have a seperate smaller cage he can sleep in when people are up late, or when people are coming home from work around 2am. The main cage will be positioned in living room where everything happens, but want a smaller cage in my room he can use to avoid noise and get a better nights sleep.

Should I simply leave in regular cage until settled and used to my hands and capable of stepping up and then familiarize him with small cage for a few hours a day, so when does go into he sin alarmed and will sleep. Maybe move a toy from cage to cage so he always has some familiarity?

Thanks in advance. I've been reading these forums last few days, and have been learning a fair bit and enjoying the knowledgable discussions.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I think that sounds like a good idea. After he gets comfortable with the move you can try to get him used to sleeping in a sleeper cage :)

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
It should work out fine. I have found Cockatiels are pretty good when it comes to adjusting. :)

Edit: putting in a familiar toy with him/her when swapping cages is a great idea.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok it sounds like he should be ok. Just didn't want to overwhelm the little guy too much too soon by having to get used to new cage and my hands and then another cage and different spots for sleeping and playing around.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
He'll be fine. And definitely take one of his toys in. I would go for the one that seems to be his favourite..if there is one of course. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love this idea of a sleeper cage - what size is best? My son wants our bird to sleep in his room which is also nice for when I am up late and want a little peace (my bird is always on my shoulder and won't stay on play gym or on cage).

So I currently have the main cage in his room but I do think a smaller one is best. My bird is young and he gets a little anxious when first left alone but then he settles down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts