Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

My name is Kat and I've just gotten a baby cockatiel. She (we don't actually know her gender) is a hand raised kid, around 2 months old. Her name is Avocado.

She was was weaned on to seed and we are having a hard time getting her to eat anything else. She has no interest in pellets, fruit or vege, and actually seems to react fearfully when I try to introduce them.

I've tried mixing pellets in with her seed, she just eats around it and then screams when the seed is gone. I've tried cooking the vege, it has helped a little, but not much. Hanging fruit in the place of a toy hasn't helped, she just chews whatever is holding it up. I tried coating the vege in seed, sticking it to it with sticky fruit etc, she just eats the seed and then screams.

She won't touch non-seed things even when she is hungry. The one green thing I've had some success with is sprouted seed.

Does anyone have any advice..? I'm kinda at a loss... I know it's all about perseverance, but she won't even nibble at most things..

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
885 Posts
If possible, bring her to the table when you're eating meals and give her little pieces of what you're eating. My birds ALWAYS want what i'm eating, and it's the easiest way i've found to introduce them to new foods.

Another way to introduce greens to seed junkies is to crumble some broccoli over/through their seed. Mine always mistake the broccoli crumbles for seeds and eat some before they realize what it is lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You were right! I sat down with some snow peas for a snack and once she saw I was eating it she was quitw happy to hoe into some herself. Thank you for the hint!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts