Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was just wondering, I'm a little confused at the moment. I know what a Cockatiel's diet can consist of basically (used can because you can swap some out according to preference): fresh fruit and veg, pellets, seed, mineral block/cuttlebone and water.
But I have been looking at my local supermarket, and other local petshops and haven't been able to find a well known recommended seed product available for purchase :(.
I live in Melbourne Australia, so I was wondering if anyone else in Australia/Victoria could give me the name of a good seed brand :confused:. I currently don't purchase things online, so I was hoping that there would be a product I could get that is healthy and safe. It's just that I've heard so many things about additives, preservatives and possible toxins that I'm actually kind of scared to go and buy a pre-made seed mix :(.
If there isn't any that I can have good access to, I'd also like to know where I could buy my own seeds and make a seed-mix of my own.

Hope someone can help me out here :(

·
Registered
625 Posts
I personally use the gourmet cockatiel blend which I find is quite good. They also make a parrot blend which I have used for the tiels which has dried fruit in it as well. I also mix the seed with VETAFARM pellets.

I'm pretty sure the gourmet cockatiel blend can be bought from a fair few of the general retail outlets. I get mine from big w. The vetafarm pellets I get from petbarn :)

In the past I have used Whistler, which I found ok, but there was alot of wastage, as my birds didnt like half of the content in it.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
If you have a pet store/pet stores locally, ring around and see if any make their own high quality seed mix. There's a pet store here locally that mixes their own seed and has said to be a great mix, but I refuse to go there.

My birds get Whistler Cockatiel Seed, Whistler Budgie Seed & Gourmet Parrot Blend that's mixed in with it. I also give them in a separate dish, either Vetafarm (which is low quality pellets) or Roudybush pellets.

Article about seeds and seed mixes: http://alsq.org.au/articles/002_1494.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts