Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

New Cage for Two Tiels or New Cage for One Tiel?

• New Cage for One Tiel

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Butternut and Fossil need a new cage. Their current cage is a good size for one cockatiel but it seems cramped for the two of them. And I have been debating with myself if I should buy a cage big enough for them to stay together or buy a cage of similar size and separate them.

A few things that I have been thinking about:
1) They are pearls so I can't visually sex them. They might be under 6 months so they might be in their juvenile feathers. However... Butternut is noticeably louder than Fossil but I don't know if that is because Butternut is more fearful than Fossil... But one might be a boy and one might be a girl and I have no clue if they're related and I don't want to inbreed!
So, separating them would help prevent breeding.
Point 1 for New Single Tiel Cage

2) Butternut and Fossil are sort of bonded... They do not nuzzle or preen each other. However, for example, yesterday, Fossil was perched on the top of the cage while Butternut was still inside the cage (the door was open but he refused to come outside) and Butternut called for Fossil so loudly that he could be heard down the street! And he continued to do this for 30-45 minutes and only stopped because Fossil went back in the cage. Fossil on the other hand was trying to sleep on top of the cage and could really care less about Butternut's calls.
So, even if I put two cages right next to each other, Butternut is going to flip-out.
Point 1 for New Two Tiel Cage

3) Separating them might help taming.
Point 2 for New Single Tiel Cage

4) If taming fails, I would want to reunite them so they wouldn't be lonely.
Point 2 for New Two Tiel Cage

And something my boyfriend mentioned but I don't know how I feel about it...
If I move Fossil and Butternut into a new big cage, I would have their current cage empty and I could get a hand-reared cockatiel that would enjoy sitting on my shoulder, receiving scratches and interacting with me.

I'm tempted because I've been feeling guilty trying to tame Fossil and Butternut. Sometimes it even feels like I am torturing them. Just sitting next to the cage, if I cross or uncross my legs, it will scare them. Fossil will tremble and Butternut will have a pacing/flapping-around fit. And the chaos if I have to get up for any reason or sneeze is indescribable. I'm worried the stress of taming is going to cause them to become sick.

On the other hand, I don't want to feel like I'm giving up on them. Of course I would still love them, give them tons of toys, and allow them in and out of the cage in the house as much as they like but I would stop trying to get them to be my companion, stop "torturing" them. That said, I have no regrets taking in Fossil and Butternut, their previous owner was ready to let them fly away outside.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I agree with your boyfriend just so log as you don't pit a nestbox in he big cage they SHOULdNT ! Breed but buying a hand reared cockie is expensive :)

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
ok, both have a VERY black beak, meaning theyre definately older than a year. you have 2 females. so no issues with breeding or inbreeding. :)

that was the main concern. go ahead and get that cage for 2. having untame birds that you want to leave that way is fine. maybe farther down the road they may calm down... my lovie munch is like that. doesnt want to be touched or handled but shes now ok with me talking to her. birds are funny like that.

and what concerns me is that the old owner was going to throw them outside... it doesnt seem far off that they may have been purposely scared or mishandled. that may contribute to how skittish they are. thats why munch is the way she is. she was handfed but she was mishandled by the person i got her from. now she bites and bites hard. she shakes badly if hands are around her. it doesnt seem far off that yours are in a similar situation, and that may never change for them. birds dont forget. but its excellent of you to still love them and spoil them and give them these privileges. thats a good thing, to respect something the way it is. go and get the 2 tiel cage :)

and in regards to the nestbox, some will still lay without a box. so thats not fool proof.

but you shouldnt worry, im 95% sure these guys are girls

·
Registered
484 Posts
As for your comment ^^^^ I do no it Isnt fool proof , I thought it would lessen the chance of of babies being born although not fool proof it would lessen thE chances , that's why I said SHOULDN'T

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
theres someone on this forum whos bird will lay regardless so i was just keeping that in mind. just giving some advice

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not know I could tell their age by how black their beaks are! It's a huge relief that they are girls but I will keep a nest box out of the big cage to help prevent egg laying. Should I put them to bed sooner for a longer sleep schedule? I think I read that would help prevent it too.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
give them 12-14 hours of sleep. that should be fine.

colour of beak can also indicate splits in a mutation too but yours are too dark to be under a year. ive never seen any that dark. they seem older. for example, my two are split pied so they have lighter beaks. it sometimes works that way, sometimes doesnt. split pieds are funny :) but fossils and butternuts beaks are very dark, though the one in your avatar has a striped beak, i believe shes the one with the cool yellow streaked crest? shes split pied unless she has a completely yellow wing or tail feather... that would make her a pearl pied

also note on beak colour... its not always reliable for exact age, but yours are too dark to be under a year. the birds themselves also look older, likely older than my two, who are almost a year and 2 months.
and its just chirping and screaming, right? no whistling?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it's Butternut with the yellow crest and her tail is 95% yellow too.
And as far as I know it's always chirps, screams and flock calls. I have searched youtube for whistling but they seem to be whistling tunes/songs that they have learnt and I don't know if either of my tiels have ever been exposed enough voices/whistles/songs to learn any whistles.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
then theyre DEFINATELY females. females rarely ever learn to whistle. its males who do. female pearls keep the pearls while males lose them. both of mine are pearls. pearls have yellow tails too but if pied, the feather shaft (the stick like part in the middle) will be white/yellow too. if its dark, thats still a pearl feather. females chirp. males whistle and sometimes learn to talk.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah okay, both of them have dark feather shafts in their tails. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope no yellow flight wings, just a whole bunch of spotted ones.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
yes, then theyre both female pearls, one is for sure split pied. maybe split whitefaced too (irregular cheek patch and white rim around yellow face)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Butternut also has a large spot on the back her neck, is this just a large pearl spot or is it part of the split pied?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
thats split pied :)

yeah, with both being females, makes it easy to cage together.

but in regards to taming, adults take forever to tame, if at all. its not impossible, but it can take years even. patience is really required.

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
If you spend alot of time with them take it in turns each day they will get used to you,
make sure its away from the cage though. It does take time and alot of effort in to it

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What's really worrying me is that the previous owner only had these two for a few weeks, maybe a month or two and they were sold to him as hand-reared chicks. In a jesting manner, we joked that they behaved like they were caught out of the tree but I thought they were probably just parent-raised aviary chicks... Being adults and acting so wild, I'm seriously wandering if they really were caught in the wild and sold!

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
My 2 oldest Big mac (2Yrs) and Dumpling (3yrs) are both aviary birds and so is taco and buttercup they all was running away from me scared as such but iv spent alot of time with them sitting near the cage while there in or out

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What size cage would be good for the two of them?
Their current cage is roughly 18" deep, 18" high and 32" long.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts