Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So buttercups been moulting for a while now, she's lost A LOT of feathers and she's literally covered in pin feathers. Some have broken open and some are still growing, and still she's losing heaps. Until today she had a few long crest feathers left, but today she lost them, leaving her looking like a 12 year old who spikes his hair up. I'm wondering if it's normal for them to lose so many? She lost nearly all the feathers on her neck, she had a big big patch of just pin feathers which are now opening and still she's losing more and getting more pin feathers. It's like she's going to lose them all and grow them all back in a single molt which I know isn't what's supposed to happen but it's honestly looking that way. She's also lost a fair bit of weight. Probably too much but I'm thinking it's just from the stress of this gigantic molt. She's so scruffy and grumpy and has been this way for weeks!

You can see her wings are growing back, she's lost like 8 of the chopped ones and so really her wings should be back in no time. A few days ago they were still just stumps from he terrible wing clip. I'm just worried this isn't normal for her to lose so many in one molt.

Attachments

·
Registered
786 Posts
I read on this group somewhere that you can suppliment their diet with a little brewers yeast on their food, while they are moulting...maybe this would help? Other than that, I would imagine a trip to the vet might be in order for the weight loss too. It doesn't sound normal to be moulting for this long. Good luck...I hope she is better soon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I noticed ButterCup is not standing straight.. that is her tail is a bit droopy and doesn't line up with her back in a straight line. Bliss had that for a while so I took her to the vet - turned out she was sick.

We had a kakariki once that also stood like that for a while .. he/she didn't make it eventually because we didn't think it was anything worth thinking about.

I would suggest consulting your vet with the photo just to make sure this stance doesn't suggest anything concerning

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took her to the vet and they said she's fine. Just a really heavy moult causing her weight loss like I suspected. Her stance isn't really an issue, she stands normally sometimes, she was getting ready for bed in the pic. She's pigeon toed as well, which the vet also pointed out today but I already knew. Her eyes look a bit squinty because of the pin feathers around them agitating her. I talked to the vet about supplements but she didn't think it was necessary as long as she was getting an adequate diet, which the vet seemed to think she is. The length of the moult is within normal range, it's just the severity of it that's unusual
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
786 Posts
Good to hear!! You are a great mom to be taking such good care of her:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts