Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was feeding the birds this morning and found a bug in their seed container!!!! Ive attached a picture for reference, I searched a bit in the seed and couldnt find any more bugs but Ive put the seed in the freezer just to be safe and kill anything I didnt find, if theres more bugs. My question being, is this seed still safe to feed the birds? Its like 10 lbs of food so Id hate to have to chuck it all out....but obviously I dont want to harm my birds. I did a google search and came up with a few yahoo questions about this but with conflicting answers, but I tend to trust you guys more :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
It looks like some kinda catterpillar to me , Some pillers are poisonous. Im not sure that it is one but it sure looks like one

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
The seed is fine. it just means that possibly it might be old, or was improperly stored. Freezing will kill off any critters.

You can check if you seed is fresh/viable by soaking some for a day or two to seed if they sprout. If all sprout it has not lost any of the nutrient content. If you get some that sprout and some that don't then it was a mix of last years and this years crop, and the non-sprouting seed has lost it's nutrient vfalue/content.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hard to tell the size from that picture, but that is a larva. It is quite common for there to be moths in fresh, untreated seed.

What that little larva is telling you is there are no pesticides in that batch of seed! That, to me, is great news. You are using an excellent brand of seed!

You did the right thing by placing the seed in your freezer. That is what is recommended to kill the insects.

I always store my bird seed in the refrigerator. As a matter of fact, I have one refrigerator almost exclusively for holding bird seed, millet and treats, etc. The freezer houses their Bird Street Bistro mixes and other food that I freeze for them.

I never leave any bird food out at room temperature, except what they're eating at the time.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for the info, I will be storing any new seed in the freezer first before using it from now on:p and Susanne I will try your sprouting idea and see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts