Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

My Tango guy has been with me for over a year and a half. He is not clipped. He basically lives in the house (apartment, actually) and sleeps/eats/rests in his cage. So he's pretty comfortable here and all has been well.

I just took in my grandmother's budgies because they became too much for her. There are two, a male and a female. They stick together and they're very cute. However, I let all the birds out today, and now Tango is hanging out with me and the budgies are hanging out in his cage! Is this normal? And is it bad? I would appreciate any and all tips and advice.

I made sure to introduce them before letting them out; they are getting along, so to speak, but Tango seems a little scared of them. I don't want them "kicking him out" of his own house!

I'll re-home them if I have to (grandmother already said she would be fine with that) but I'd like to try to make it work, if possible.

Thank you so much!!

❥ Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Housing two different species can be difficult. I, personally, never let budgies near my tiels. Even when I was watching my brother's for two years. Budgies are pushy and can be mean.

As long as Tango doesn't get in a fight with them over his cage you should be fine. But I wouldn't leave them alone with supervision.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Roxy! That was exactly the vibe I was getting too, that Tango needs me to watch over him. They are a little feisty.

They may not be here too long, if my gma decides to take them back after she gets better. In the meantime, I think I'll only open one cage at a time, and Tango gets first dibs.

❥ Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
885 Posts
I was going to reply to this earlier but I had to run out for a while lol!

But I definitely agree with Roxy. It should be okay as long as there's no aggression between them. Budgies can be little jerks lol! They're like the chihuahua's of the bird world - they're little but they think they're 6 ft tall and unbreakable.

I have 4 different species going and some I can let out with others, some I absolutely can't. The tiels are okay with everyone and mind their own business, but the bigger birds tend to dominate everything lol. It's just about finding the right balance :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
budgies

Budgies can be aggressive towards cockatiels, but i know it can be done with supervision, as many have said! I had two cockatiels that liked to climb on, in and around my previous 'tiel's cage. She didn't like being around them. It was especially sad when one of the budgies died and the other tried to move in with the 'tiel! He bit my cockatiel's toe hard enough to break it. She was climbing on top of her own cage, the budgie was inside and came up and bit her toe! I ended up rehoming the lonely budgie to my sister. She has a large cage and several budgies. I think both birds were happier. But that doesn't have to happen. I hope you can manage to keep all of the birds.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I think giving them separate out of cage time is the best thing to do to avoid squabbling.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If they do wind up being a permanent addition. You can try a trick I did to calm down the aggression between my tiel and budgie. I basically withheld treats from them basic diet no treats while in the cage. During free time I would let them chow down on a whole millet spray and take it away the minute a fight broke out. It took about 1.5-2 weeks of doing this on a regular basis but the aggression did calm down. They can now share out of cage time closely supervised. They still dislike each other but they have developed mutual tolerance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts