Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a disturbing experience today and realizing that budgies and cockatiels are quite similar in their needs and that so many of us have both types of birds, I hope it's okay that I'm posting this here. Though I also have budgies I am not on any budgie boards.

I was invited to the home of a woman I know only slightly; she's a neighbor and sometimes we'll meet while walking our dogs. Today she asked me over to
her house and it was there that I saw her bird, the skinniest budgie I have ever seen in my life. I've had both budgies and cockatiels for many years and I have never, ever seen such a thin creature. She saw how shocked I was and said she would take the bird to our vet ASAP. She's an animal lover so I want to believe her.

She told me she knows nothing about birds and this was one she took off her teenage daughter's hands. The bird had a large dish of seeds and always has a millet spring in the cage. That's it. I doubt that she gets anything else. Droppings looked normal. Aside from its anorexic appearance, the bird looked normal as well -- feathers seemed okay and wings weren't drooping. She was quiet but it was an overcast day and I was a stranger. The friend said that she chirps and is active and often sees her eating.

Question: Could malnutrition cause such a physical condition or would something else have to be in play here? Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
No one should ever worm a bird UNLESS diagnosed by a Certified Avian Vet. Doing it yourself can do more harm than good.

I am glad she will be taking the Budgie to a vet, any kind of weight loss/underweight condition can indicate a health problem, I would (highly) suggest she has tests run, as well as gram stains, and fecal tests.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You can't tell from the pic in my signature, but our blue budgie is skinny. He has constant access to food and eats all the time. He's just a skinny old man. :love:

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Some birds are thinner than others...Jeep eats more than my other birds and he's tiny. While Snowball and Pebbles look like they have boobs. So it very well could be that this is just the bird's natural build. But a vet checkup is definitely a good idea!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your replies. This budgie is about two years old, has never seen a vet. The bird is so thin that I initially mistook it for one of those plastic life size toys that sit on the perch. I can't believe this bird is just a thin type, just much too low weight, but hopefully the woman will take her in. She reminded me that she's an animal lover so I have faith that she will.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Captive birds shouldn't require worming in the first place. But I would imagine that the medication required can be extremely dangerous if not prescribed by a licensed health care professional. Birds are so small that the dosage would be way smaller than say for a dog or cat besides the fact that meds used for those animals shouldn't be used on birds.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
It could just be that the teen daughter wasn't feeding the bird enough. You know how the dish can appear full, but it's actually full of hulls, not seeds.
Hopefully, the bird will thrive now in the hands of that lady.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Captive birds shouldn't require worming in the first place. But I would imagine that the medication required can be extremely dangerous if not prescribed by a licensed health care professional. Birds are so small that the dosage would be way smaller than say for a dog or cat besides the fact that meds used for those animals shouldn't be used on birds.
I don't wish to labour the point, but a special bird worming medication is available without resorting to worming medications for dogs or cats. The particular one I'm using is added to the birds drinking water for 24 hours, and the doseage is calculated based on the bird's weight using so many drops per so many mils of water.

I started worming my budgies as they live outside in a large cage on a covered deck, and are often visited by wild birds.

·
Registered
97 Posts
there ia a bird wormer called ivomec and i have always been recommended to worm aviary birds before breeding season as they come into contact with wild birds.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
And that is up to you guys to do that...but for a regular member who has INSIDE birds who do not come into contact without outside birds, there is absolutely no need for them to attempt to deworm a bird unless advised to do so by a vet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts