Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about Buddy except that he is 3 years old and has funky tail syndrom. He had been housed in an 18"X18" cage for at least the last year with another 'tiel. I don't know if he was ever allowed free flight. After his cagemate died and I brought him here he was in a similarly sized cage during quarantine. Now that he is in the aviary I've been watching him and he seems so reluctant to fly. I know he is capable of it. I have seen him fly the length of the aviary (9 feet). But rather than fly or jump anywhere he has always crawled along the wire. I put in a couple of boings to bridge the gaps 'cause there were some places his girlfriend went that he couldn't seem to manage. Even then he couldn't make it over to the swing where I hang the millet. I would see him pace back and forth inches away from that boing and not even try a little jump that would give him access to the treats and his girl. Today however is a different story. I've seen him on the millet swing, on the boing and every where Fawn goes Buddy follows. I'm so glad he's getting accustomed to having the space and is gaining the confidence to use it. Happy Happy Joy Joy!:D

·
Registered
917 Posts
It's wonderful that you've given Buddy a new lease on life, it's great to hear he's got a new home and a new friend.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Oh that so good I Kinda know what thats like when I moved Spike from his baby cage (I got him when he was 3 1/2 weeks old) into his big boy cage it took him 3 weeks to move off one perch now he's all over it. I guess size is reletive to your teil the aviary must of seemed like the great outdoors. To my little Spike it was like that also. His big boy cage is a 26'x26'x36' high dome top. his baby cage was 18'x15'x20'high so there was a huge difference. I put Bandit in the baby cage for now because of his broken toe. I thought it would be easier for him to get around in a smaller cage for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts