Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know this forum is for cockatiels, but I've always got great advice from people here and my sun conure has hurt his leg. It's bruised above his foot, and he doesn't want to put pressure on it, but he can move it and is still climbing around his cage. I've padded the bottom of his cage with a pillow and lots of tissues in case he falls, I'm going to set up his travel cage since that would be safer.

I can't get him to the vet yet as our vet is on holidays, but if I'm really worried I can take him to another vet that's further away, if I can get someone to drive me there. The question is, should I be worried? I am worried right now as I've never seen his leg bruised before, but I know birds are pretty resilient when it comes to leg injuries..

Is there anything else I should do to keep him comfortable, and should I take him to the other vet straight away or is it safe to monitor him for a couple of days first?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If your sunnie is using his leg/foot to climb then I doubt it is broken, just badly bruised and I think about the only thing a vet will do is give pain meds or maybe anti inflamitiorys. On a bird 1st aid page I have read they recommend cayenne for pain management so if you have some you can sprinkle a pinch on his food. I personally would put him in the smaller cage only if he isn't distressed by it. If he spends his time frantically trying to find a way out then he isn't helping himself and is better off in his regular cage. Also if this was my bird I would take the wait and see approach with cayenne given with his food every day. If the leg is only bruised you should see an improvement fairly soon. If your bird is lethargic , does not eat or drink then I would contact a vet immediately as an emergency.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Coco sprained his foot when he was a baby. I have no idea how he did it because he was in his small cage at the time and it happened when I was out (must have taken a fall or something). I panicked and rushed him to the vet because he was holding it close to his body and couldn't climb with it or move it at all, he had to hop around on his other leg. It wasn't broken though so my vet gave me an anti-inflammatory to give orally and Coco was back to normal within a week.

I'd say if your conure can move it and is using it to climb, it should mend on its own. I'd get some anti-inflammatory though, it works very well. But if you don't see an improvement in a few days a vet check would be a good idea. Best of luck! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys. He wasn't any worse today, so that's good, I've set up his travel cage and I'll probably be able to get him to the vet on monday. We called the avian vet that lives hours away and they said if we take him to a normal vet, they can actually call the avian vet and ask for advice, so that's really nice of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts