Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 18 year old cockatiel named Frank was flying around the living room earlier, as he does every day, and had a crash landing on the couch. In the process, he broke one of his tailfeathers. He didn't break it off totally, it's still attached, but it's loose and kind of hanging. There was no blood, so I assume that means it's not a blood feather

My question, is this something I should just leave and wait for him to drop the feather in his next molt, or should I cut it off at the break? I've read differing opinions in various places, some say to leave it, some say to cut it off. I definitely don't want to cut it off and have him start bleeding all over the place. How can you tell whether a feather is a blood feather or not?

Believe it or not, this is his first broken feather in the 18 years I've had him. He's had all kinds of other mishaps, but never this. That's why I ask. Any advice or insight would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
If the feather is fully grown, which becomes die tissue just like our nails, you can cut off from the broken point. If it is still grown feather, just wait a few weeks and cut.
Even for fully grown feather, you can let it be that way, there is not a problem, just not as neat looking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the feather is fully grown, which becomes die tissue just like our nails, you can cut off from the broken point. If it is still grown feather, just wait a few weeks and cut.
Even for fully grown feather, you can let it be that way, there is not a problem, just not as neat looking.
Thanks for the reply. Since it doesn't seem to be bothering him, I'm gonna leave it go, and wait for him to drop the broken tailfeather when he molts. If it seems to start bothering him, then I would consider cutting it off. I'm just leery of doing that, because even though I'm pretty sure it's a full grown feather and it didn't bleed when it first broke yesterday, I'm not 100% sure and wouldn't want to take any chances. So I'll leave it alone unless it starts bothering him.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top