Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our 5 yr old female cockatiels, Tavi, thinks she can fly well, but she just doesn't have much lift. She has taken off from our shoulders and fingers so many times, and never been injured, but last night she landed hard, and wrong, and ended up with a broken leg. It has been set, and splinted. The problem now is trying to keep her from picking at the splint. Any suggestions? When I am sitting by her, I can re-direct or distract her, but tomorrow, and through the weekend that won't be possible.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Is it bruised? If its sprained or broken they do get bruised sprained are normally blueish and broken usually have a little red which is the blood trapped.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
When my budgie sprained his leg I took out all the perches and kept one on the very bottom of the cage and put towels on the floor of the cage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is definitely broken, no visible bruising. Vet did an x-ray, and the two sections of bone were side by side, rather than on top of each other.
She is in a carrier exactly like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOZQQE2/?tag=newvie-20
No perches, just a towel on the bottom. She is to stay in that for at least 2 weeks so she isn't climbing (to reduce the risk of her falling on the broken leg).
She is acting completely normal. She just keeps picking on the splint.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It sounds like you're doing a really good job with her. :) I think the best you can do is offer her distractions from picking at the splint. What does she like to play with? Can you give her shreddable things she can pick at instead?

If you absolutely can't distract her from picking the splint, talk to your vet about options for putting her in a collar. That's usually a last resort since it's also stressful, but her leg needs to heal and obviously that can't happen if she keeps messing with the splint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wondered about putting toys in with her. She is really my (19 yr old) daughter's bird, so I'll have to ask my daughter what toys Tavi prefers when she gets home from classes this evening.

While texting my daughter with updates, she said she might just make a collar for Tavi if needed. My daughter spent a couple summers as a volunteer at a rehabilitation center for wild birds, specifically in the ER, so she has a lot of general knowledge for injured birds.

(We tend to "annoy" my husband with the amount of care / concern we give our pets. Our vet is getting very familiar with us, as our greyhound had a major leg injury in August, and now has a broken toe! When we got to their office this morning the vet teased us about a different animal having a leg injury!)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It sounds like your pets are very lucky to have you! And it also seems like your daughter will have some good ideas as far as supportive care. :)

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
When I had a bird with a broken toe, the vet put on an extra piece of tape that was sticking out. It was a decoy to distract the bird away from the real bandage, and it worked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts