Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need some help please.

My new female 4-5 months old cockatiel broke or dislocated her toe. It's at a very funny angle. It got caught in our carpet. she is limping but does appear to be able to stand on it. The skin is not broken / bleeding.

what can I do other than taking her to a vet if possible.

Hope the pictures help. not sure if the picture shows it clearly how bent it is...

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
You can try to split it (its not an open type of break) but to be honest this really does need to be seen by a vet. We aren't vets so we can't really advise on this.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
I would certainly take her to a vet. I am sure it is very painful and they can give her something for the pain.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
If you think it's broken, use a piece of masking tape to tape the toes together and keep them rigid. It'll prevent things from moving around and hurting them more.

Make sure to use masking or scotch tape as any other tape will gum up the feathers.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
if you can get to the vet, its better, ive splinted plenty of busted toes myself, but its not easy to do, and i dont recommend it unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hello If you can straighten the toe with a very gentle pull &
it stays straight then it was dislocated & you've fixed it. If it
doesn't then its broke. A job for the Vet....B.J.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Hello If you can straighten the toe with a gentle pull &
it stays straight then it is dislocated. If it doesn't then
its broke.....B.J.
This should really NOT be attempted without an assessment by a vet. If the toe is broken, pulling on it could do a huge amount of damage. Not to mention that this must be extremely painful.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I agree..you really should not attempt to fix it without the help of a veterinarian.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Please take your bird to a avian vet asap.Dont try to fix it at home,you could cause a lot of damage to it.A cockatiel foot is something so delicate, recquires proper care . A vet should look after it Good Luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts