Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i noticed Miso had a feather kind of sticking out from all his other tail feathers, and when i lightly felt it it was super loose. at first i assumed it was a loose feather that was right about to fall out or something but he still had it today. so i put him on his back to get a better look, being scared it was a blood feather or something that could cause a lot of harm any minute, and it's not....he just seems to have broke a feather in the middle of the shaft. it's not a blood feather so I don't think there's a risk of him bleeding from it.

i think it may have been because we recently took him to the vet for a blood test and a DNA test just to see what his base health right now was (everything is totally fine, he's a healthy bird. gender we're not sure yet.) but they took it from his nails + we just got his nails clipped as they were extremely long so he's still getting used to climbing without his rapiers for nails and he's very clumsy.

should i be worried about it? is there anything i should do about the loose bit?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Cosmo just broke two tail feathers the same way. The one was ready to go and was dangling on by a thread. I clipped it with my hair cutting scissors and ohh boy let me tell you, Cosmo has been so mad at me ever since.

Take a bite of a peanut and drop it. I offered him my palm with millet in it when I put him back. He must of had about 4 outburst yelling and beaking my hand. I didn't move a muscle and stayed frozen the whole time. It was pretty interesting to watch his outburst and then he glared at me waiting for a reaction then he would get confused look because I remained frozen and a second later have another outburst.
After he gave up and went to a different perch, I calmly and quietly closed the door and covered him for a nap.

Do cockatiels feel their feathers like that? Does it feel like a nail clipping?

·
Registered
648 Posts
They can't feel it unless it's a blood feather or you accidentally tug it whilst cutting it. He might just have gotten scared of the scissors or how you held him to do it though. He will be fine regardless, sometimes they just sook :p

·
Registered
203 Posts
They can't feel it unless it's a blood feather or you accidentally tug it whilst cutting it. He might just have gotten scared of the scissors or how you held him to do it though. He will be fine regardless, sometimes they just sook :p
It was making me wonder if he could feel it. He must be afraid of the scissors. I clipped it with him standing normally on my hand and slowly snuck the scissors up from the bottom on my hand. I tried to show him me cutting his millet with it and give him some millet to show him the scissors are okay. He wasn't having it, maybe I'll bring out a pair of scissors when we are hanging out and not do anything with the scissors. Maybe hopefully I can desensitize him to the sight of scissors?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think sometimes they're also protective of their feathers lol...sometimes miso will shed feathers and she picks them up and brings them to you like presents or spends 20 minuts cleaning it when you hold it out in front of her. maybe he wasn't happy you clipped one of his beautiful feathers :p

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yup I sneakily had to cut one of Maxi's tail feathers where it had bent, then started to get in the way/freak her out as it would poke her. I felt so bad cutting her feather though! I agree that they are protective of their feathers/their bodies. I think just being quick and calm is the best way if you need to cut any more feathers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts