Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading that sunlight is good for liver health (and general health for that matter!)

I took Pat and Mat to the vet this morning. And I think perhaps it is too soon to conclude much, but Matty had nearly white urates in two of her poops when I got home from work tonight!! I have no idea why. Maybe the nutrition from the pellets have finally begun to kick in, maybe it was a particular vegetable that she ate more than the others, idk.. But the first thing that came to mind after reading so many articles since getting these tiels is sunshine.

When they were in the carrier - I don't know who was in the sunlight, but I think it was Matty because Pat was sitting on the perch the whole way back after having an attempted blood test. She wasn't in the sun for very long, just the walk from the parking lot to my door (I was walking slowly to keep them calm) but maybe the sun helped?

Pat's urates got slightly worse from how I remember them, which is strange because I thought the whole time that Mat's condition was a little worse. So I want to give him whatever she had that helped

I am thinking of taking them out with their carrier cage daily if the weather is nice. I was wondering if you guys think it may be too soon to put them back in there after the vet experience xD and also how long they should be there, and how long they should be in direct sunlight.

The only other thing I can think of is that Mat relaxes and sleeps more than Pat does - though she is still active enough of the day. But sunshine should help them both either way. What do you think?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Definitely bring your birdies out whenever it's sunny and you have the chance. I think it is so good for them to have the sun on their feathers, to feel the fresh air and to see some different things/hear outdoor things. For a short time (such as 30mins) I don't bother covering the cage when out in sunshine, but more than that I'd just put a small cover over one part of the cage so your birds can retreat if it's too warm/sunny for them.

I don't know what your birds think about mist sprays, but when they're out in the sunshine it can be a great time to give them a mist bath, then they have a good ole preen in the sunshine and get plenty of vit D.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts