Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi ya,

Am planning to breed my white faced cockateil pair. i do have a query, for which i request your comments.

Hen and Cock really haven't showed any signs of mating..is it that i need to keep a nest for Hen to get used to it and then she will be ready for mating?

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
How old are they? If you put up a box the male will prepare it for her and once he says its ready she will go in. If they haven't started mating yet providing a nest box may stimulate them to mate.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Hen and Cock really haven't showed any signs of mating..is it that i need to keep a nest for Hen to get used to it and then she will be ready for mating?
----------------------------------------------------

Please, please...this approach can lead to fatal results sometimes. If the pair is not showing an interest in each other, and a nestbox is hung to encourage breeding, what happens is the hormone levels are increased. Their bodies, especially the hens are getting mixed signals. The body is preparing itself to ovulate and the mind is telling it it is not interested. Then the mind tends to avert the ovulation by absorbing the yolk back into the system before it can reach the lower part of the oviduct and form properly. If this internal war continues there is risk of peritonitis and if it is not recognized this can become fatal to the hen.

The first signs of peritonitis are a swollen abdomen. The breeder gets excited thinking soon there will be an egg...but no eggs are laid. The nestbox is still attached to the cage for several weeks to a month or so, compounding the problem. An infection developes in the abdominal cavity and many times the hen is found weak in the corner of the cage or dead, and the owner/breeder assumes that she died of egg-binding.

I would suggest to not put a nestbox up or breed the pair is they are not showing obvious signs of intrest with each other, or mating.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
many thanks srtiels...i will try to give more privacy to the pair and will hold putting a nest box till they show signs of mating..

many thanks for your valuable comment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts