Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

The other day, I walked in on my two birds having sex on one of their perches. My biggest question is if this a form of mating or just releasing an urge? The reason why I ask this is the two birds don't get along too well. The male bird always bosses around the female and she always tries to run away from him.

Recently, I've been thinking about raising a baby bird from an egg, but I just started researching on how to do so. The previous owner told me that the female bird has laid eggs before, but she didn't know how to take care of them. Is this true? Don't cockatiels know how to take care of eggs naturally? :confused: Could I provide a nesting box for her so she can lay the egg in there to encourage her to watch the egg?

I'm still a new owner to these two birds, but I wanted to hear everyone's opinion and feedback/criticism. Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Pat

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
If you just got them they really need time to settle down. Also, bonding can be an issue. If she wasn't bonded to the male and laid eggs, she will try to abandon them or be a poor parent. This is called a bondage pair. Mating will not automatically result in eggs, so reduce their daylight hours and rearrange the cage. They really need more time before breeding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! They've been together for about 5 years. I was just curious about their behavior and what it could mean. What will limiting daylight do for them?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It will make them think its winter time which is not a good time for breeding. It will reduce their hormones which is why they are breeding. Just because they have been together for five years doesn't mean they are a bonded pair. Besides that, tiels can go through birdy divorces as well.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Limiting all light will reduce their hormone level. Cockatiels like it as much as humans do, so it very well could have been just for fun. If they do not perch together and preen each other regularly, they are not bonded.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts