21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,022 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am thinking of hand rearing them, im not decided yet, i would love to keep them all :D but i know i havent got the room :( i will keep one though as if they hatch and suvive this will be my first ever lot of chicks ive done from start to finish, i hand reared millie, he came with a breeding pair and the man brought there nest box with them and he didnt tell me they had a chick, a few hours passed and i was putting there nest box away for the following year and luckily i heard him sqeeking otherwise he would have died in there :eek: anyway i gave him back to his parents but they neglected him so i had to hand rear him and im so glad i did as he is a wonderful bird so trusting :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Aww how exciting!!! Baby tiels, how adorable!! :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I do hope so, i dont want to get to exited in case something goes wrong,
im a little worried about the pair actually as since monday when they laid the first egg they have hardly been out the box there is no poop in the cage and very few seeds missing from there bowl (normaly they empty the bowl between them within a day) there is a tiny amount of poop in the nest box at the one side is all this normal?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I havn't bred tiels so I cannot help you there sorry, lets just hope their being dedicated parents...! ;)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I do hope so, i dont want to get to exited in case something goes wrong,
im a little worried about the pair actually as since monday when they laid the first egg they have hardly been out the box there is no poop in the cage and very few seeds missing from there bowl (normaly they empty the bowl between them within a day) there is a tiny amount of poop in the nest box at the one side is all this normal?
watch out for egg binding a lack of droppings could indicate that, usually when egg laying she will save it all up and come out of the box and poop usually a large one in the morning they usually don't poop in the box I would keep a close eye on them, egg binding may not be the problem but I would just watch out for it as it can be life threatening.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I am keeping a close eye on them, but its hard as there in the nest box, i dont want to keep opening the nest box every 5 miniutes as im scared they will reject their eggs if i intervein to much, when i checked on them not long ago they came out the box and the hen had a hissy fit at me, she spread her wings out to full span and was swaying side to side and she nearly knocked joey of the pearch lol, so i think as rosie said they are just being dedicated parents anyway her vent is very big but shes due to lay another egg tommorow so that may explain why, how many times a day should i check on her? also if she does get egg bound will she cry out to let me know theres something wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
as far as checking on them I am not sure of that I wouldn't disturb them to much as they can damage the eggs if startled signs to look for in egg binding are, sitting at the bottom of the cage rocking back and forth, sitting on tail feathers with legs spread apart, laboured breathing tail wagging or bobbing, abdominal distention, lack of droppings and ruffled feathers, I am sure she will be ok but its good to watch out for these things :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks Bea,
I checked this evening and there is no more eggs to report, so i think shes only having the 2, i took my chance at candleing them while i was there as shes been sitting on them since she had the first 1 so its 5 days for the first egg and 3 days for the second egg, egg 1 looks fertile :D it has a red spot in the middle and a faint red circle around it egg 2 is still orange i should know sunday if that one is fertile :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yay i thourght it was but i was a little unsure, they have suprized me tonight by laying another egg :D i thourght they would stop at two but she has had another 1 so 3 altogether i wonder if she will have another 1 on sunday :D

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Oh hooray!! 3 eggies now!! :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The cockatiels are doing very well, they didnt have a egg on sunday so they just have the three, 8 days of incubation is done already, its gone quick, i wish the other 10-13 days would hurry up and go though, lol i cant wait to meet the little chicks :p i candled the three eggs, there all fertile you can see a heart beat in them :D there due to hatch -
egg 1 12th - 15th oct
egg 2 14th - 17th oct
egg 3 16th - 19th oct
i hope ive worked it out right, there still pooping in the nest box not in there cage its been 8 days now, when shall i clean the nest box out? now, when the eggs hatch, or do i just leave it there is a lot of sawdust in there and the birds are covering it up so im not sure if it matters :confused:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I can't wait for them to hatch!! How exciting!!

About the nest box, you say there's saw dust in there - do you actually mean saw dust or is it wood shavings? Saw dust is too fine and can be ingested/inhaled by the chickies, so if that's what's in there i would wait till all three eggs hatch then swap most of it out for wood shavings (you can buy them cheap at pet shops). :D Leave a little in there so you keep the nesty smell for the parents. I wouldn't change anything before the chicks are hatched incase the parents abandon the eggs.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.