Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
i have two cockatiels which i brought from a pet shop as a 'proven pair' i got them in april and left them to settle in until may then i introduced the nest box since then they have been in the box a lot (the male practicly lives in there:confused:) and i have caught them mating several times but they have never produced any eggs any advice or ideas?

also if they do eventually breed any idea what colours the chicks will be?
the male is normal grey and the female is lutino lacewing.

Many thanks

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
there could be many reasons why they are not producing any eggs
how old are they?
do they have a clean bill of health?
I know they are a proven pair but are they bonded?
How's there diet?
sorry I don't know much about mutations I am sure someone will come along who can help with that ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there could be many reasons why they are not producing any eggs
how old are they?
do they have a clean bill of health?
I know they are a proven pair but are they bonded?
How's there diet?
sorry I don't know much about mutations I am sure someone will come along who can help with that ;)
The pet shop said they are 3-4 years old,
they seem quite close so i would say they are bonded
they both are healthy birds
there diet is parakeet mix, fresh fruit and veg, i have gave them egg food but i dont think they eat it, they also have millet, cuttlefish, iodine block, and grit.
do they need anything else?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I would take out the nest box, and reintroduce it in a month or two. Sometimes this can give them a chance to get in the mood for breeding, it might help.

From that pairing i think you will get normal greys, and the males will be split to lutino. :)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Bea has a good point :) about removing the nest box and then reintroducing it, I have read Some ways you can stimulate your Cockatiels to breed are: Frequent baths and mistings, Fresh greens and soft food; Breeding diet; Branches, Wood toys; and a nest box which I am sure you already knew ;) I also read that sometimes seperating them for a few days works.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all,
i reintroduced their nest box monday, the male was in there within 10 minutes of me hanging it up, i have caught them mating on tuesday and yesterday so they seem really keen, the females droppings have gone huge and really smelly, they havent laid yet though it should be 7-10 days after they mate i think? i have also moved them to a breeding cage that my grandad made its 2ft high x 4ft wide x 2 ft deep its all boxed in with a mesh roof and front they seem to love it so im keeping everything crossed lol wish me luck :p

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Awww, how exciting!!! Good luck and remember to keep us all posted! :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update; they are both spending all the time in the box now, the females droppings are still big and smelly, and her vent area looks very big and swollen i am 99% sure she will lay a egg very soon possibly tonight im so exited i could scream lol:p

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
That's really exciting!! Congrats on the egg. :D I think you'll get all normal greys unless the male is split to some things (has hidden genes). Then you could get any number of suprises.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.