Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybirdie! I was wondering if anyone knew of any tiel breeders close to Myrtle Beach, SC? I might be looking to acquire one maybe in the next 6 months, and I'd like to get one from a breeder. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I wish you were. I know a really good budgie breeder, but unfortunately she's not around here, nor does she breed tiels. Oh, I do hope I find one. At least I have some time for my search!

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can usually find someone with baby tiels either on Craigslist or through Ebay Classifieds.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You can usually find someone with baby tiels either on Craigslist or through Ebay Classifieds.
Try your local Facebook pages too, I belong to a lot of animal and bird buy and sell pages for Wisconsin and my city area... I have a Facebook page called Crazy For Cockatiels and get a lot of people joining and buying thru that. I didn't even have to offer this last clutch up for sale and they were spoken for as well as inquiries for next clutch. When looking for a breeder try to see if they have a website or a online place you can see how they raise their babies and possibly watch the progress of the babies. On my Facebook page I post from the time I am planning a clutch thru egg laying, hatching, baby pix and many pix and videos of them being raised. Even tho I am not a big serious breeder, I am very smalltime and not very experienced but people can see how my babies are raised, how much attention and time they get as well as how much I love my birds. Make sure the breeder you choose socializes the babies, this is much more important than handfeeding. A baby can be a handfed bird and still be a wild scared thing where as if properly socialized they should be tame sweet and loving... here are a couple of pix of my (very messy, they were washed when I was finished feeding) babies during feeding time... they were more interested in playing than eating and sort of made a huge mess...lol they are 5 weeks old in these pix.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have checked Hoobly, and I see that one breeder is in Andrews, which is only an hour away from me, which won't be a bad idea. It may be a little while though before I can get one though. We are now dealing with the aftermath from Hurricane Matthew. Plus, I'm not working as much because I broke my ankle a couple months ago and it's not healing to fast, so paychecks are a bit slim. So after awhile, I might come back to this, once my checks start getting back to normal. I'm definitely going to get a tiel, it's just a matter of when now. Now I just need all the info I can possibly get my hands on. Since this won't be as expensive as I once thought, I may be able to get it sooner, not sure.

I'll definitely have to check that Andrews breeder a bit more in detail, and let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have people driving 4+ hours to buy one of my babies and I charge $100... I just had a family drive almost 4 hours just to meet the babies and pick one (they ended up with 2...lol) they will have to drive back again in a few weeks to pick them up... so a 1 hour drive is nothing... ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I think I am going to go for the breeder on hoobly. I've already gotten in contact with her, and am talking to her. It's just a matter of time before I have one. Now I just have to figure out if I want male or female, and what mutation. If a hen, I definitely want a pearl, not sure about males. I still question their temperament, from what I've read.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Both males and females make great pets, both are sweet and loving, hens are a tad more cuddly and males may talk. No egg issues with males... I personally prefer hens.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My husband Lonny checked out that breeder's facebook page and it has us both a bit concerned. I guess the birds are not kept in the best of condition, so this breeder may be a no go. Uuugh, back to my search for now.

As for the difference is gender, I would like to have a super cuddly bird, but am scared about the chronic egg laying possibility, and subsequent egg binding threat. Our luck usually runs on the "unlikely" path, and that has me worried.

What is your favorite mutation?

EDIT: I just checked out her facebook page, and it really doesn't look bad, and all her birds look happy and healthy. So this breeder may be back in.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My husband Lonny checked out that breeder's facebook page and it has us both a bit concerned. I guess the birds are not kept in the best of condition, so this breeder may be a no go. Uuugh, back to my search for now.

As for the difference is gender, I would like to have a super cuddly bird, but am scared about the chronic egg laying possibility, and subsequent egg binding threat. Our luck usually runs on the "unlikely" path, and that has me worried.

What is your favorite mutation?

EDIT: I just checked out her facebook page, and it really doesn't look bad, and all her birds look happy and healthy. So this breeder may be back in.
My favorites are pearls and lutino pearls, but to get them they have to be hens or they lose the pearling at maturity. Males can be very sweet too... mine are pretty good, just not cuddly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I suppose I should end up getting a hen then. Although I suppose I should get Lonny on board first. He sets such high standards for their care, which is great, but it also means that he never thinks we're doing enough for them. Which means grew doesn't think getting a tiel would be a good idea right now. We take great care of all our animals, to the very best of our abilities.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
My absolute favorite mutation hands down is a white faced cinnamon pearl, where the pearl is considered lacewing. It's absolutely gorgeous. I also prefer hens. There are ways to prevent a hen from laying. My hens never laid unless I actually wanted them to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I will have to re research how to keep them from laying. But first thing's first. I need to convince the hubby that a tiel is a good idea

1 - 18 of 18 Posts